Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have been in Sydney for almost a month now on a 457 and loving the country. The only thing is the company sponsoring me is one of those that abuse the right to sponsor ppl.
I just want to know the best options for moving on and the different visa options. If I resign wat are the consequences on the visa?
FYI I am in the software engineer field.
Any ideas would be gr8...suxs being so abused emotionally by a company!

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Hi Maree

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. Been there, done that myself, you have my sympathy.

Your options would be pretty much to either leave the country within 30 days as Shel has pointed out or alternatively find a new sponsor who is willing to take over your sponsorship. You do have the advantage of being in the country and available for interviews, so the task of finding a new job should not be as difficult as it was to find a sponsor from abroad.

You can also apply for a permanent visa but those take time to come through and ultimately, as they are mainly offshore visas, you will still have to leave and wait out an income back home.

Find a good agent and register with them. You really need someone who will push your CV and market you as a candidate. Also, who are your company's competitors and clients? That's always a good place to start.

Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Been similar situation. Employer took me for granted as I locked with them on 457.

So ...we decided to move on and wifey started to hunt job in Sydney - she got few offers and only 1 able to sponsor visa 457 ...basically to swap the main and dependant...not a big drama which approved in 10 days.

There are plenty of agents you can find in seek. My suggestion is to register with as many as you can to multiply your chances and quicken the process. Write in a "special book" who/where did you apply and follow up with them every week. Some HR wont reveal their number but you can google and findout. Use the current company resources to apply/call for all the jobs you can.

Most important thing to remember ; do not show/hint/mention to anyone in the company that you are planning to leave. You must surprise them with your first move not otherwise.

Good luck and let us know how you progress...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I will start the job hunting...
Also if I resign and decide to go back to SA what are my rights when it comes to claiming from the company for my expenses eg. Flights , etc

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks everyone. I will start the job hunting...
Also if I resign and decide to go back to SA what are my rights when it comes to claiming from the company for my expenses eg. Flights , etc
You lost the rights for repatriation unless you are going back to your origin country for good. But I suggest you to try ask them - you might get if you are lucky.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Been similar situation. Employer took me for granted as I locked with them on 457.

So ...we decided to move on and wifey started to hunt job in Sydney - she got few offers and only 1 able to sponsor visa 457 ...basically to swap the main and dependant...not a big drama which approved in 10 days.

There are plenty of agents you can find in seek. My suggestion is to register with as many as you can to multiply your chances and quicken the process. Write in a "special book" who/where did you apply and follow up with them every week. Some HR wont reveal their number but you can google and findout. Use the current company resources to apply/call for all the jobs you can.

Most important thing to remember ; do not show/hint/mention to anyone in the company that you are planning to leave. You must surprise them with your first move not otherwise.

Good luck and let us know how you progress...
I agree with you for the most part with the exception of using company resources to job hunt. Most offices are open plan these days and having a private conversation is not exactly going to be easy, especially if you are trying to keep it under wraps that you are leaving. It won't require a genius to figure out the topic of your conversation!

I would personally recommend that all job hunting be done at home and if an agent calls you during the day, step out and take the call. Walls have ears so you certainly do not want the boss to hear about your plans before you have Plan B in place. Whilst you are on a 457, you are at the mercy of your employer and if you are not happy at work, it would not have gone unnoticed, so do not do anything to aggravate the situation.

Yes, we all want to spring a surprise on a bad employer but unless you play your cards right, they could also spring an even bigger one on you.

Maree - do you qualify for a permanent visa on your own? If you do, I strongly recommend, particularly if you would like to remain in Australia, that you start looking into the possibility of applying for your own visa. Once you have that, you can be your own boss and employers will typically treat you a lot better because they know that you are on your own visa and can therefore leave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.