Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about this scenario, please...
On a Competences et Talents visa, given that you don't yet have a job but are going to be in the country for the approved 3 years with work permit, and don't have any back pay slips to show, what is the solution? I'm sure more than a few people arrive with a similar situation. Is there an amount of money generally expected or funds in an account you can demonstrate to get an unfurnished place? I don't mind at all 3 year leases or having to pay a large amount upfront (as far as I'm concerned, I have to pay it eventually anyway and wouldn't dream of arriving in France with only a few months of rent available). And I don't want a furnished place for only a year.

It seems that agencies complicate things (as is the case in NY as well) and I've always preferred to just pound the pavement looking for apartments made available by private rental signs and ads online like at pap.fr. Ultimately, I guess my question is, in this scenario what is a landlord going to expect me to have in order to consider renting to me. Surely, there must be some way I can prepare for this.
Thanks!!

·
Administrator
50,032 Posts
There are basically two alternatives (and it's up to the landlord or rental agent to agree to one of them):

Either you put 6 to 12 months of rent in a sort of escrow account to guarantee your payment of the rent or you find a French based guarantor (like a co-signer) who does have three months of back payslips and the capacity to take over rent payments if you don't or can't. Some banks will serve as guarantors under specific programs you can sign up for when you open your account with them.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.