Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unexpected opportunity to move to Lyon in response to an offer from my employer and would like to solicit advice from any locals who may read these threads. Specifically, I would like advice on which neighborhoods to focus for apartment rentals. I recognize that there are previous threads on a similar topic, but I am hoping for more current information.

My preferences would be a relatively quiet area within walking distance to restaurants, grocers, and bars; and something within either walking distance or convenient transit to the Part Dieu area (I will be working within about a 5-minute walk from Gare de Lyon Part Dieu).

My wife, I think, would prefer something with a little age (tall windows and parquet floors) but I'm not sure that's a requirement. Nice to have, yes. But not need to have.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try the 6th arrondissement. The area north of the shopping corridor Cours FDR/Vitton is, I think, the quietest and close to a huge park, but furthest from Part-Dieu (a 20-30 min walk or a bus ride away -- can be slow and crowded at rush hour). The area to the east, (west of the Gare de Brotteaux) is a bit more "hip & happening" but consequently noisier at night. These two areas and west toward the Rhone look a lot like Paris with tree-lined boulevards and beautiful buildings. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place with tall windows and versailles parquet floors. Also look for double-glazed windows (double vitrage) and a bedroom on the courtyard side. The area south of Vitton, easy walking distance to Part-Dieu, is a good neighborhood too, convenient to everything, but not as postcard-pretty.

Bonne chance, Charlot

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sixth is a good choice. On one side of the river is the renaisaance district with tall windows and tall ceilings! On the other side is the medieval town. The quai de saone is a lovely renaissance area and the public transit is superb in Lyon. Best of luck! MS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.