Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've recently been playing with the idea of making the move to Australia after a friend of mine asked me to come live with him and his father over there. Now, this is only in the very early stages, but I want to make sure I am as fully educated about the matter as I can be.

Both myself and my friend are under 18 years of age, however, I'll be 17 at the time we're planning on going and he will be 18.

What we're wondering is:

What do our parents have to arrange with eachother considering I'm only a minor?

Are minors allowed to leave education and work full time?

What will our current high school grades mean in Australia and will we need to complete high school over there in order to go onto higher education?

I have a criminal record for damage, however it's only a caution. Will this matter?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
First you'd need a valid visa to live and work in Australia. At your age this would you are not yet eligible for any of the visas that allow work. However at 18 you can apply for a WHV (working holiday visa).

Check with the airlines if you are can travel on your own to Australia, if not then some sort of written permission will be needed from both your parents.

Unless you're here on a PR visa you wouldn't be eligible to enter public school here without paying the fees of an International student.

You will need to complete high school (whether it's here or AU) to enter University here (you'll need a high school qualification/certificate).

Look into the TAFE system in case you have completed at least year 10 as you can do trade course from age 16 onwards. You would be entering as an International student with the associated fees of that.

I think there are a few things you need to research before coming over:
1. What visa you will come over on
2. What your study plans are in AU

Start at Immi.gov.au for the visa wizard and Google TAFE for information about TAFE institutions. If you're interested in Uni then it is in your best interest to complete year 12 in the UK and then come to AU as an international student, at your age I expect that is < 2 yrs from now.

OK, so I've recently been playing with the idea of making the move to Australia after a friend of mine asked me to come live with him and his father over there. Now, this is only in the very early stages, but I want to make sure I am as fully educated about the matter as I can be.

Both myself and my friend are under 18 years of age, however, I'll be 17 at the time we're planning on going and he will be 18.

What we're wondering is:

What do our parents have to arrange with eachother considering I'm only a minor?

Are minors allowed to leave education and work full time?

What will our current high school grades mean in Australia and will we need to complete high school over there in order to go onto higher education?

I have a criminal record for damage, however it's only a caution. Will this matter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts