Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

In case you are single, do you feel happy about your status?

• I am single and I hate it, I want a boyfriend/girlfriend ASAP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not single although I wish I were

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a research done recently, only 20% of singles is really happy. For those younger than 35 it is only 1 out of 7. 75% indicated to be looking for a partner.

The article is here but you'll need Google Translator to get it from Dutch into your own language.

Now of course polls are never 100% correct, because for entire correctness you'd need to interview every single person within the area the poll is focussing on. I doubt as well if the social stigma on being single and the cliche that people need to create a family isn't contributing to some singles really being happy but rather not admitting it?

And if singles are really less happy than those in a relationship, what is the reason for that? I don't agree with the idea singles are too picky, with friends you can be more flexible but if you wish to share your life with someone it is only normal you want to have a lot in common (and especially on the important things such as what you expect from life: kids or no kids, career focussed or other priorities, settling down or not, ...)

Personally as a single I feel quite indifferent about it. I would like a girlfriend, but i am not "hunting". I do think life must be more pleasant when you can share your beautiful moments with someone you really love, but (especially since having been truly in love several times) I don't see the point in just starting a relationship when you're not more or less sharing enough to have the feeling that the relationship can truly last. For sure there is a difference between being alone or being lonely. I like being alone quite often. I hope to meet Mrs Right in the near future, but it's not like I feel lonely very often while waiting for that moment.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Amazingly, and shocker of all shockers, I went with:

I am single and look for a partner, but not really unhappy as a single neither

I travel too much. And I've taken up an old hobby of mine lately - so I'm content until paths cross with whoever.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Amazingly, and shocker of all shockers, I went with:

I am single and look for a partner, but not really unhappy as a single neither

I travel too much. And I've taken up an old hobby of mine lately - so I'm content until paths cross with whoever.
why shocker? i ticked the same.

i wish there was a "i'm single and not really looking for a partner except the weekends and holidays" :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts