Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am South African born and currently live in the USA on a Greencard. My wife and children are dual USA/SA citizens. I have applied for UK citizenship using form UKM - my mother was born in the UK and I was born in South Africa before 1983. I have a few questions that I would appreciate any feedback on:

(1) Is there any reason (aside from good character etc.) that I would not be eligible for citizenship under UKM? Both my brothers obtained it, although they applied before they were 18.
(2) My application was received by the Liverpool office on May 1, 2015 and the payment taken off my bank account on about June 9th. I have not yet received a letter of acknowledgement - should I be expecting one? or an email?
(3) About 2 weeks after submitting my application, I completed the online form for "return of documents". I received my documents on June 15th with a letter providing a reference number for each document, and stating that they might need the documents again, once work starts on my application. Is this my Acknowledgement Letter, or is it something else?
(4) If anybody has recent experience on timeline versus the 6 months guidance, I'd appreciate hearing it.

I will post my dates in the visa timeline thread too.

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the very speedy response! Just a follow up to your response. I have no criminal record or other character issues. Are there any other reasons that I might not be eligible, or is it as simple as being born before 1983 to a UK born mother?

Also, should I be expecting an acknowledgement letter, beyond the letter I received with my return of documents?

Thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. I am living in South Africa Cape Town and I am also waiting on my application results. Have you heard anything yet? I am working through a company Move Up because i was told it would be quicker and i I applied the 1st of September 2015. I then received a letter to have my Biometric Enrollment done on the 2 November 2015. but i have not heard anything again since then. I am hoping it does not take 6 months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi. I am living in South Africa Cape Town and I am also waiting on my application results. Have you heard anything yet? I am working through a company Move Up because i was told it would be quicker and i I applied the 1st of September 2015. I then received a letter to have my Biometric Enrollment done on the 2 November 2015. but i have not heard anything again since then. I am hoping it does not take 6 months.
Hi.
UKM applications are taking 6 months to be process and in some cases they are even going over 6 months.
They are sending letters with, "your application raises exceptionally complex issues and require further time" so it will not be processed in 6 months. (I got that letter within 3weeks of they receiving my application). Just their excuse for running behind time and for their ineptitude.
I've read of cases where 6 months has pass and they say it will take another 3-6 months.
Don't unnecessarily stress yourself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi.
UKM applications are taking 6 months to be process and in some cases they are even going over 6 months.
They are sending letters with, "your application raises exceptionally complex issues and require further time" so it will not be processed in 6 months. (I got that letter within 3weeks of they receiving my application). Just their excuse for running behind time and for their ineptitude.
I've read of cases where 6 months has pass and they say it will take another 3-6 months.
Don't unnecessarily stress yourself.
Thanks for your reply but i hope it does not. Another woman who did her application a few months before me was asked for additional info and her application took 4 months so i am hoping for the best. :fingerscrossed: All of my documents were in order and they haven't asked me for anything else thus far so i gather all is going good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Someone recently took 4 months. You need to meet 'good character' requirement about criminal convictions.
If the applicant has good character, how long do you think it should take. i know they say 6 months but what are the chances it would be sooner? I am very eager to leave SA because my 2 sons are already in the UK and i want to be with them as soon as i can. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the applicant has good character, how long do you think it should take. i know they say 6 months but what are the chances it would be sooner? I am very eager to leave SA because my 2 sons are already in the UK and i want to be with them as soon as i can. :fingerscrossed:
It all depends on how long HO takes with their background checks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BHolmes, note that my wait was 10 months. I had not included my marriage certificate showing name change (nowhere on the UKM form does it mention this). Nobody from UKBA notified me that additional documentation was required. So, my packet sat in a pile on someone's desk, unattended. If you do not hear from UKBA after 8 months--yes, that is eight months--from the date you were charged on your credit card, you may initiate an inquiry. Please search for my post under member name elizadoo.

Not to sound preachy as I am now officially British so I may complain a wee bit about my fellow countrymen, but this type of slow service is unheard of in the US. Elsewhere in the expat forums here I have read about how terrible customer service is in the UK, and I have witnessed it first-hand. Well, I am intending to go to the UK for awhile to work, and one thing I am bringing with me is my Yankee work ethic and insane friendliness.

BTW I was on an airplane flying back from Cape Town to Heathrow and the youngish 30 something South African woman beside me told me that she was recruited by a British recruiter agency to work in the UK because UK employers wanted Aussies, Canadians, Americans, South Africans, and New Zealanders to work in the UK because they had better work habits. Don't know how true that is but a few posts here on the boards have echoed that sentiment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

I'm still waiting - just received an update today that its still in progress. Apparently the file is with a caseworker (has been since early December), so a little confused as to why its still in progress. Will update when I hear more.

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
BHolmes, note that my wait was 10 months. I had not included my marriage certificate showing name change (nowhere on the UKM form does it mention this). Nobody from UKBA notified me that additional documentation was required. So, my packet sat in a pile on someone's desk, unattended. If you do not hear from UKBA after 8 months--yes, that is eight months--from the date you were charged on your credit card, you may initiate an inquiry. Please search for my post under member name elizadoo.

Not to sound preachy as I am now officially British so I may complain a wee bit about my fellow countrymen, but this type of slow service is unheard of in the US. Elsewhere in the expat forums here I have read about how terrible customer service is in the UK, and I have witnessed it first-hand. Well, I am intending to go to the UK for awhile to work, and one thing I am bringing with me is my Yankee work ethic and insane friendliness.

BTW I was on an airplane flying back from Cape Town to Heathrow and the youngish 30 something South African woman beside me told me that she was recruited by a British recruiter agency to work in the UK because UK employers wanted Aussies, Canadians, Americans, South Africans, and New Zealanders to work in the UK because they had better work habits. Don't know how true that is but a few posts here on the boards have echoed that sentiment.

Good luck.
This sounds great "the work" opportunities that is. the waiting period and what you experienced, not so much. I really don't want to wait that long. my son's are in the UK already and I miss them terribly. The company I am working through got me to include everything but I have only on part 1 of my application. I am still sitting with the rest of the documents for part 2 to go through. I had my biometric enrolment done on the 2 November 2015 and am just wondering if I should try and contact them in case my application is also just sitting on someone's desk. *sigh*

Thanks for updating us though.
Sandra

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi to all.
My UKM application was successful.
Applied on 27/10/2015. Received by UKBI on 29/12/2015. Biometrics was done on 18/11/2015.
Received letter stating my application was successful on 30/12/2015, it was dated 18/12/2015.
Entire process was under 2 months.:thumb::thumb:
All the best to those waiting.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow

Hi to all.
My UKM application was successful.
Applied on 27/10/2015. Received by UKBI on 29/12/2015. Biometrics was done on 18/11/2015.
Received letter stating my application was successful on 30/12/2015, it was dated 18/12/2015.
Entire process was under 2 months.:thumb::thumb:
All the best to those waiting.:)

WOW that is amazing. i have been waiting since last year August. I had my biometrics done 2nd November 15 but still waiting. I SOOOO wish i could get my outcome this month still. Happy for you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where did you apply from? i wonder why some applications are quicker than others? Did you apply through your British mom?
I applied from Barbados.... Yes I applied through my British mum.
Waiting for my invitation letter for citizenship ceremony.

Hope you hear your good news soon.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I applied from Barbados.... Yes I applied through my British mum.
Waiting for my invitation letter for citizenship ceremony.

Hope you hear your good news soon.:)
Thank you for getting back to me. I am very happy for you. Maybe mine is taking longer because i am in South Africa. Who knows! O well at least i know they are then working on the applications.

Hope you get your invite soon then.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.