Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you interested (Brit and old!) I've just received my UK Winter Fuel payment for this year. £200

....and just at the moment it is well justified - it's very cold here in the PO (66)

DejW

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
OK, we get lots of posts here about this winter fuel payment thing. Is this considered to be part of your UK pension or is it a separate payment? Is it based solely on your being British? Or does the payment differ by where you are resident?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
OK, we get lots of posts here about this winter fuel payment thing. Is this considered to be part of your UK pension or is it a separate payment? Is it based solely on your being British? Or does the payment differ by where you are resident?
Cheers,
Bev
It's all here:
Winter fuel payments - DWP

Haven't had ours yet - but we did see some snow yesterday

Cheers

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
They keep trying to muck about with the eligibility rules, Bev, but it's a standard rate for everyone who does get it. It used to be that, if you were entitled to it in the UK as an OAP, you'd continue to get it wherever you are. Then there was a huge nonsense about whether you could get it if you expat-ed before your State pension kicked in, and subsequently started drawing your State pension. Then some mealy-mouth said something about Brits expat-ing to warmer climes so why should they get it at all?

Clearly, they are still paying it - at least to people who've been getting it thus far, but who knows ....?

h

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A long time ago a British Prime Minister wanted to improve his popularity so he proposed a "Christmas present" for the elderly. It's part of the "presents" (or calendars) syndrome in France.

The interesting thing is that the civil servants (= fonctionnaires) told him that it was administratively impossible. The PM (Ted Heath) for once showed some bravery and went on TV and announced it publicly - thereby removing the objections of "impossible". It's linked to Retail Price inflation and this year it's £200, I think it's the same for singles and couples, not sure.

The WF payments are given to the same people who receive the UK State Pension (old age pension) - therefore payable to people living in hot countries. There's threats (calm discussion!) on not paying WFP to pensioners in hot countries...and that's another long discussion.

In Normandie I received a Christmas parcel from the Mairie with the same idea as the UK WFP. Here in the PO we get invited to a VERY good lunch at the Mairie.

DejW

Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
Interesting... the first sentence of rynd2it's link says this:

Winter Fuel Payments can in certain circumstances be paid to people living in the EEA or Switzerland. Winter Fuel Payments are not available in countries covered by social security agreements.
So, obviously, they've limited it to the EEA plus Switzerland.

Pity no one can talk the US into something like this. Though they're having enough "fun" arguing over their upcoming health care system.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Interesting... the first sentence of rynd2it's link says this:

So, obviously, they've limited it to the EEA plus Switzerland.

Pity no one can talk the US into something like this. Though they're having enough "fun" arguing over their upcoming health care system.
Cheers,
Bev
It's the "certain circumstances" which is the moot issue; otherwise you've only got to pop over to the UK for the 3rd week of September every year!!!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
It's the "certain circumstances" which is the moot issue; otherwise you've only got to pop over to the UK for the 3rd week of September every year!!!
It's very interesting, up until last year you had to be UK resident to receive it, then that was challenged under EU discrimination rules so in 2012 all pensioners got it. Its £200 unless you are over a certain age when it goes up to £300 (I think) and it is only paid to one member of a household. Now they are trying to stop it for those in "warm" climates and they include France in that list! I guarantee this will get ugly!

And Bev, I would love to understand what has happened to health care in the US, I might want to go back one day.

Cheers

·
Registered
737 Posts
looks like the brits here are not all up to date !

state pensioners from the uk are entitled to this at the rate of £200 per household ...if you are a couple they send £100 each ; people on other benefits may get it from 60 or so ; the current government cut it from £300

to begin with it only went to people who went abroad after they became pensioners , but the rule was changed after the EU ruled it should apply equally to all brits

you can claim if you think you should be getting it but are not

HOWEVER , the current government have decided they will in the near future pay only to people who live in colder climes than the uk , not quite sure how it was calculated but whereas italy will still qualify , france will not

why is this ? when they calculated the temperatures for france they included the overseas possessions in the pacific !

needless to say there are a lot of unhappy pensioners !

it is estimated that 20% of uk pensioners now live overseas , mainly in spain and france , so this is a stupid move by the conservative party .....as we are are all entitled to vote for 15 years after we leave the uk it will be easy for us to register and vote them out of office

personally I shall be registering to vote again !

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
And Bev, I would love to understand what has happened to health care in the US, I might want to go back one day.
A friend of mine who has been living here in France for the last 20 years just got the word from her husband (both of them Americans) that he wants to move back to the US this spring. He's having no luck finding a job back there, so I'm hoping for her sake that he changes his mind - but she has had lots of expensive medical care over here, and is not real wild about going back.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.