Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I haven't posted in awhile but my husband (British) and I (American) need some advice. Here's our back story:

In January of 2014 we got married in the States and immediately applied for my settlement visa. I thought we had researched pretty thoroughly but we had ended up getting some really lousy advice from a visa company who did not know their stuff and were denied our first attempt because my husband was just barely not meeting the minimum income requirement at the time (at least not without overtime which we didn't realise was not counted). Anyways we paid for our mistake and went through a pretty awful 8+ months being separated while he switched jobs and waited to meet the requirements etc...

Fast forward to October 2014 when I finally got my visa (after reapplying) and moved over to the UK. We were so relieved and thankful to be together. But here's the thing. We are both missing the States and want to go back, either that or volunteer abroad together and are very concerned about being separated again. Main thing is we both are ready to leave the UK.

Originally I was going to go through the whole process and get dual citizenship but honestly I'm just not enjoying it here (no offence meant!) and 5 years is a long time to wait just to have that second passport.

So here are my questions:

1) If we leave in the next year will this negatively affect a visa application years down the line? (For instance if we return to the UK in the distant future to be closer to his family). I realise my timeline would start over but I don't want to never be allowed the option of a visa again.

2) This may be a question for the US forum but does anyone know if we can not be separated while applying to go back to the States? I have an aunt and uncle who earn well over six figures who are willing to sponsor us, but am not sure on the process in reverse.

3) Does anyone have general advice? Should we stick it out a bit longer? I've gotten some really great feedback in the past and trust the opinions on this forum and am just so nervous to make any more mistakes in regards to visas.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I thought if there's anywhere where people may have advice based on experience, it would be here!

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
1. If you leave the UK in the next year, and you are out of the country for 2 years or more then you will have to re-apply for a new spouse visa to return to live in the UK. Your leaving now will NOT adversely affect any future application.

2. You will need to apply for the US spouse visa from outside of the US (anywhere you are resident) and the process will take between 8 to 12 months. Your husband can visit you in the US but cannot live there with you during the process.

3. If you, the US citizen, cannot meet the financial requirements for the US then you can use joint sponsors.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply. Just to clarify: can I petition for him and stay in the UK while he waits to get his visa? I don't want to go to the US without him. My family can meet any requirements as 'joint sponsors'.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Just realised that as you both live in the UK and have done so for more than 6 months you could do Direct Consular Filing via the US Embassy in London.

Process is much shorter, 4 months maybe without any skeletons in the cupboard, and when the visa is issued you both move over to the US.

Filing Immigrant Petitions Outside the U.S.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi all,

So I haven't posted in awhile but my husband (British) and I (American) need some advice. Here's our back story:

In January of 2014 we got married in the States and immediately applied for my settlement visa. I thought we had researched pretty thoroughly but we had ended up getting some really lousy advice from a visa company who did not know their stuff and were denied our first attempt because my husband was just barely not meeting the minimum income requirement at the time (at least not without overtime which we didn't realise was not counted). Anyways we paid for our mistake and went through a pretty awful 8+ months being separated while he switched jobs and waited to meet the requirements etc...

Fast forward to October 2014 when I finally got my visa (after reapplying) and moved over to the UK. We were so relieved and thankful to be together. But here's the thing. We are both missing the States and want to go back, either that or volunteer abroad together and are very concerned about being separated again. Main thing is we both are ready to leave the UK.

Originally I was going to go through the whole process and get dual citizenship but honestly I'm just not enjoying it here (no offence meant!) and 5 years is a long time to wait just to have that second passport.

So here are my questions:

1) If we leave in the next year will this negatively affect a visa application years down the line? (For instance if we return to the UK in the distant future to be closer to his family). I realise my timeline would start over but I don't want to never be allowed the option of a visa again.

2) This may be a question for the US forum but does anyone know if we can not be separated while applying to go back to the States? I have an aunt and uncle who earn well over six figures who are willing to sponsor us, but am not sure on the process in reverse.

3) Does anyone have general advice? Should we stick it out a bit longer? I've gotten some really great feedback in the past and trust the opinions on this forum and am just so nervous to make any more mistakes in regards to visas.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I thought if there's anywhere where people may have advice based on experience, it would be here!

Thank you in advance :)
I have been in Scotland a little over 18 months. I've only recently started to feel like everything isn't completely strange! ;) It is hard to be so far away from family and friends, but I love living in Scotland. My only input would be to allow yourself more time to get acclimated, if possible. There is so much involved in getting here, I would just suggest you don't throw in the towel so soon. However, no one knows your true feelings and situation other than you and your husband so if you both decide to go in a new direction, I wish you all the best. There is a big wide world out there so don't be afraid to try something new. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,

I have been looking into the process of moving to the US early next year from the UK over the last month or so. I am American and my husband is British. We will have lived in the UK for over a year together at the time of applying, and will have been married for just over two years.

I feel pretty confident about the first step in the process (filling out the I-130) and where to mail all of the forms and supporting evidence (US Embassy in London) and paying the first fee, however I am a bit unsure what comes next. If the I-130 is approved, what will my husband and I have to do? Do we have to go in for interviews? Biometrics? Both? Also are there any other fees other than the $420 for the I-130? (I am assuming yes but am having trouble finding this information).

Also, it is my plan to use my aunt and uncle as joint sponsors as they earn well over six figures and are sure to meet any financial requirements. From what I understand this is allowed and and they just have to prove they earn 125% over the poverty line for our household size. Is this correct? Does anyone have a link to where the details are listed for minimum requirements? This is very important for me to note now as I am hoping to not have to find a job until we move over (as we will stay with family for a few weeks until we can get fully settled).

Last but not least, assuming everything is filed correctly and there are no hiccups, am I correct in a 6 month average time frame since we would be applying in London? (For instance we plan on applying in late January 2016 and hope to move by June/July 2016).

Any help is appreciated, even links to other threads! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I dont have my visa yet, but I was there for a few months at a time before.
It's strange being away from family that long, but they're on facebook and skype, so I had no issue.

The feeling of being with my future husband and our new home is exciting for me.
The idea of a new place, with all these different resturants and -- well, coming from someone who comes from a town of like, less than 1000, moving to Glasgow was a FUN experience!

Its so different with all the new shops and ways people go about themselves, but I really really enjoy it, and if you stick around, you might too! But if you'd prefer to go home, no one is stopping you from enjoying your life :)

Hope your new visa goes through!

Reactions: meganf0412

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Hello again,

I have been looking into the process of moving to the US early next year from the UK over the last month or so. I am American and my husband is British. We will have lived in the UK for over a year together at the time of applying, and will have been married for just over two years.

I feel pretty confident about the first step in the process (filling out the I-130) and where to mail all of the forms and supporting evidence (US Embassy in London) and paying the first fee, however I am a bit unsure what comes next. If the I-130 is approved, what will my husband and I have to do? Do we have to go in for interviews? Biometrics? Both? Also are there any other fees other than the $420 for the I-130? (I am assuming yes but am having trouble finding this information).

Also, it is my plan to use my aunt and uncle as joint sponsors as they earn well over six figures and are sure to meet any financial requirements. From what I understand this is allowed and and they just have to prove they earn 125% over the poverty line for our household size. Is this correct? Does anyone have a link to where the details are listed for minimum requirements? This is very important for me to note now as I am hoping to not have to find a job until we move over (as we will stay with family for a few weeks until we can get fully settled).

Last but not least, assuming everything is filed correctly and there are no hiccups, am I correct in a 6 month average time frame since we would be applying in London? (For instance we plan on applying in late January 2016 and hope to move by June/July 2016).

Any help is appreciated, even links to other threads! :)
You should ask these questions on the US forum. If you want, I can move this particular post to there for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should ask these questions on the US forum. If you want, I can move this particular post to there for you.
Hi Nyclon,

Sorry I realised after I posted that this thread was on the UK forum not the US. I have posted on the US side already but if it's okay thought I would leave this here in case anyone else in my situation on this forum can chime in.

Thanks you! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.