Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here as I am looking for some information on the situation my girlfriend and I are in.

I am from the UK and she is American, in July she came here for 1 month and was given a 6 month stamped Visa (Leave to enter for/until). Things are going really great for us.

Now we have arrangements for her to take online classes in December, and come here for 4 months whilst she does this.

Before we buy her return ticket, we are quite worried about some things, I hope you can help!

Since she got her 6 month Visa in July, will this only be in effect for 6 months from said date, or does it only count while she visits? Will a new one be granted on arrival since the current one most likely lapsed on leaving?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
It'll be a new stamp in her passport with a new duration if the U.K. Border Agency decides to admit her. Most probably it'll be a new 6 month permission to stay. The fact she entered the U.K. once already and left without overstaying is terrific and puts her in a lower risk category.

That's the "fun" part about trying to enter a foreign country. There's always a bit of a risk of surprise inconvenience. But neither you nor she should worry about it. There's a very high probability she'll get a new 6 month stamp. If for some odd reason she gets a shorter duration stamp then one day trip to France generally works.

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here as I am looking for some information on the situation my girlfriend and I are in.

I am from the UK and she is American, in July she came here for 1 month and was given a 6 month stamped Visa (Leave to enter for/until). Things are going really great for us.

Now we have arrangements for her to take online classes in December, and come here for 4 months whilst she does this.

Before we buy her return ticket, we are quite worried about some things, I hope you can help!

Since she got her 6 month Visa in July, will this only be in effect for 6 months from said date, or does it only count while she visits? Will a new one be granted on arrival since the current one most likely lapsed on leaving?

Many thanks in advance!
In genreal US citizens are allowed to visit 6 months out of 12 however, this will always be at the IOs discretion when entering the country. If he suspects she is doing anything other than visiting she could be given less time or refused entry all together. For such an extended stay she should have proof of strong ties to the US like a lease or mortgage and a job or school to return to.

Additionally, one of the conditions of a visit/tourist visa is that you can take no work paid or unpaid and you can't enroll in a course of study. It doesn't matter that it's online.

If for some odd reason she gets a shorter duration stamp then one day trip to France generally works.
This is really bad advice. It's called making a visa run, IOs are onto it and she would most certainly be turned away giving her a black mark on her immigration history which will make any further visas more difficult to obtain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the info! The online course she will be enrolling in is for a college in the USA, she needs to go in for the final classes to finish the course. Will the IO be ok with this?

I'm glad that the visa doesn't expire 6 months after the given date. But it is actually 6 months here total in 12 months of the visa being given, I hope I have understood this right.

Many thanks again everyone, put my mind at rest!

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Thank you for all the info! The online course she will be enrolling in is for a college in the USA, she needs to go in for the final classes to finish the course. Will the IO be ok with this?
No. It doesn't matter where the course originates from if she doesn't have a student visa, she can't study in the UK.

Read the following requirements for a visit visa one of which is that you do not undertake a course of study:

UK Border Agency | Can you come to the UK as a general visitor?

I'm glad that the visa doesn't expire 6 months after the given date. But it is actually 6 months here total in 12 months of the visa being given, I hope I have understood this right.
Once you leave the UK your visit visa is basically cancelled and you have to reapply upon your next entry. So, as she has already been in the UK for 1 month, she should expect to spend no more than 5 months between now and next July.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Not that Home Office is likely to find out about doing an online course with US college. It will be fine if she is already enrolled with the same college and she is just continuing to do some work for it while she in on visit in UK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.