Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm currently in the process of potentially applying for an Irish Working Holiday Visa. I meet all the requirements set for the visa however I was recently denied an unmarried partner Tier 4 dependent visa to the UK. My boyfriend will be attending a Master's Program in Scotland, so the ideal situation would be able to live & work with him, however it doesn't look like that is an opportunity anymore.

I have read that sometimes they refuse Irish visas under the suspicion that you are just applying to sneak into the UK. I have no intention of doing this, I just would like to be able to work in Dublin where we could visit each other (fairly) cheaply and often while he is going to school. (Versus the alternative being I'm in the USA, across the ocean and I see him once a year).

Does anyone have advice or has been in a similar situation?

Thank you in advance for all the wonderful knowledge and help that is shared on this website!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
On what grounds was your Tier 4 dependent visa denied?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Irish visa denial because of your prior UK visa refusal is unlikely, as you are applying for a specific visa that ties you to Ireland for work and living. What can happen sometimes is if you get refusal on UK visa and you then try to enter Ireland as visitor (no prior visa needed), then Irish immigration may suspect you are trying a back door entry into UK and may deny you admission. But your situation is quite different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Joppa for the encouraging advice. Really appreciated.

Do you think I'll face extra scrutiny from the UK as I'll be traveling to and from Scotland on occasion?
I understand that since ROI and the UK have the CTA that there isn't strict border control when traveling within these areas. I have heard that this can cause big problems for non-british & non-irish citizens as many times they don't get passport stamps while traveling between the UK and Ireland, is this something you think I should be worried about? Or since I will be on an Irish working holiday visa I will be viewed similarly to an Irish citizen?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
The fact you have proper Irish residence visa should make it easier to move between Ireland and UK, even with or without border control. Remember when you come from Ireland to UK, you are restricted to a 3-month stay instead of the usual 6 month. It's when you enter UK directly from outside CTA that you may encounter scrutiny, as they can see you have been refused UK visa. So make sure you carry with you evidence of strong ties in Ireland, such as rental agreement and job contract or payslip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Joppa.. Once I was refused for eea residence in uk and left uk voluntarily.. if i apply for ireland under eea directive.. will it get refused on the basis of my previous immigration history in UK? Thanks

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
They shouldn't take account of previous EEA family permit denial, but you may still get refused on public safety grounds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks joppa... but i never posed a threat neither committed a crime while i was in uk.. i left uk voluntarily.. so how can they turn my refusal into public safety ground?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
If they don't want you into the country, they will find a reason to exclude you. Even if you manage to get family permit, denial is possible at residence card stage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.