Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been a distant observer of this site for a few years and have recently joined!

Simply put I would like to move to the United States, ideally New York City. I am well versed on all the visa requirements that are open to me, visa deadlines, high application numbers etc and have tried without much success for the past few years. :)

I have a law degree and a successful career in Compliance. I was lucky enough to experience living and working in America via a J1 visa in 2003 but even before that I was very keen to move to the US. At this point I am stuck with how to strategise....I worked for an international company that did not have the financial inclination to transfer me to the US, my current employer is not big enough to offer me an opportunity abroad, so that in essence rules out the L-1. I dont fancy moving to another firm in the UK with the "potential of transferring at some point" for the simple fact that I wish to make my next role a lasting career move.

I have attempted the visa lottery for the past 6 years, although I am British born and bred my parents are Nigerian born so I luckily qualify. H1B visa has been (and continues to be) my tried and tested method, I have been very proactive about finding employers to contact, as I have specific locations in mind, and tried networking etc. Unluckily for me there has been no American man to sweep me off my feet....

Anyhow, I have friends who have moved to the US through work, luck, marriage, some have advised me that I need to be "on the ground"in the US, spend a month networking, attending compliance seminars etc. Realistically would that be a better strategy? I would be interested in hearing from those that have actually secured jobs while based in the UK (not just L1s). How did you do it? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

L

·
Administrator
51,989 Posts
It can be done, but you may need to accept that finding a job and moving overseas is a long term project.

Not just any employer can get you an H1B visa. With a law degree it should be possible but you need to find potential employers who can justify hiring a foreigner with just exactly your qualifications and background. And, in the meantime, you do what you can with your current employment to get the kind of experience that will appeal to a US employer with the ability to get the proper permits and permissions to hire you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you only targeting companies in New York? It is a very crowded playing field. You might want to contact firms in the less popular states like Missouri, Ohio or even Atlanta or Texas even. You might have better luck there and find a company willing to sponsor you. What about oil companies in Houston for instance? Companies like Shell that have huge stakes in Nigeria where you could use that to your advantage (may have to travel there sometimes l guess) . You may have to pay your dues by being in a small state for a couple of years before you can move to New York.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your thoughts.

The role I do now can be very US focussed and does allow me to grow my US capability, the main focus while here, aside from finding a US role, is to gather my US knowledge and use it!

The opportunity to move to New York is primary but I have in the last year opened myself up to moving to other states, Texas, Ilinois and California, I can see myself in any of those cities.

Do you have thoughts on the "on the ground" theory? In essence quitting the UK job and relocating to the US for a month or so, to try and find a role of in the US?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tried to send you a private message, but l think you need to have 5 posts to be able to receive it, you only have 2..so post again..it contains private email addresses and telephone numbers so l don't want to post it on here. Post 3 more times..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts