Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've never posted on one of these forums before and looks like there are lots of people out there who have been in similar situations to myself, so just looking for some advice really!

I have been with my BF for just over 3 years. I'm a british citizen, 26, he is a Kiwi, 28.

We can prove living together for just over 2 years. What my concern is that as of Sept 2011 I came home to study again, (Speech Therapy) I will be qualified in 3 years. My boyfriend is back in NZ studying for his PGCE.

So my questions are... we spent 3 months apart (sept 2011 - dec 2011) then I went to NZ for 3 weeks over christmas. We are now spending 5 months apart - I will be going to NZ in June for 4 months over my summer holidays. Is this going to cause problems for the UK unmarried visa?

Also... how much money are we expected to have in savings to support ourselves, baring in mind that I am a student in part time work.

Any advice would be greatfully received... :)

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Hello,

I've never posted on one of these forums before and looks like there are lots of people out there who have been in similar situations to myself, so just looking for some advice really!

I have been with my BF for just over 3 years. I'm a british citizen, 26, he is a Kiwi, 28.

We can prove living together for just over 2 years. What my concern is that as of Sept 2011 I came home to study again, (Speech Therapy) I will be qualified in 3 years. My boyfriend is back in NZ studying for his PGCE.

So my questions are... we spent 3 months apart (sept 2011 - dec 2011) then I went to NZ for 3 weeks over christmas. We are now spending 5 months apart - I will be going to NZ in June for 4 months over my summer holidays. Is this going to cause problems for the UK unmarried visa?

Also... how much money are we expected to have in savings to support ourselves, baring in mind that I am a student in part time work.

Any advice would be greatfully received... :)
Periods apart should not affect your application provided you can account for them - such as visa restrictions, work or study. You still need a combined total of 2 years' cohabitation, with documentary evidence such as joint tenancy. Travelling together doesn't count as living together in a relationship akin to marriage.

As for finance, the rules are changing but as they stand, you need to have equivalent of £105.95 in cash left over after paying for housing (rent/mortgage and council tax). If you have little income of your own as a student, then you need external sponsor such as your parents to come up with the cash. You can add your educational grant, bursary and scholarship to your resources but not loans. Any savings (combined) are divided by 26 to get the weekly amount. Expect the requirement to roughly double when the revised regulations come in (no details or timescale for introduction announced yet).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you, thats really helpful.

Can I ask why any savings are only divided by 26... Is it just that we only need to prove we have enough cash for 26 weeks?

Also, one further query. Last year we were living and working together teaching English in South Korea (7 months). Getting tenancy agreements for this time period will be impossible, as our accomodation was paid for by our Employer. Even mobile phone contracts, bills etc were in our employers name, they were just sent to our apartment and (after translation) we paid them. What kind of proof would be sufficient for this time period?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Ok thank you, thats really helpful.

Can I ask why any savings are only divided by 26... Is it just that we only need to prove we have enough cash for 26 weeks?
Because 6 months is taken as a period long enough for migrants to get economically established in UK.

Also, one further query. Last year we were living and working together teaching English in South Korea (7 months). Getting tenancy agreements for this time period will be impossible, as our accomodation was paid for by our Employer. Even mobile phone contracts, bills etc were in our employers name, they were just sent to our apartment and (after translation) we paid them. What kind of proof would be sufficient for this time period?
Letter addressed to each of you bearing the same address (if you've kept envelopes) or any official letter with address, maybe a letter from your then employer confirming your living arrangement, with dates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi...

I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice regarding being a student and sponsoring a partner. I'm a mature student, and applying for my kiwi boyfriend to come to the UK. Has anyone else done this and did u think that this hindered your application due to not being in full time work.

many thanks,
Aimee :)

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Hi...

I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice regarding being a student and sponsoring a partner. I'm a mature student, and applying for my kiwi boyfriend to come to the UK. Has anyone else done this and did u think that this hindered your application due to not being in full time work.

many thanks,
Aimee :)
Do you have a substantial amount of savings? Under the new rules which go into effect today, if you don't have an income from a job or any other sources you'll have to have a substantial amount of savings in a verifiable bank account for at least 6 months prior to applying.

From the Statement of Intent page 45, point 170:

"For example, where the sponsor and applicant have no income which may be counted towards the financial requirement, £62,500 in cash savings will be required for the financial requirement to be met at the entry clearance/leave to remain stage or at the further leave stage, i.e. the ‘floor’ amount of £16,000, plus 2.5 times the shortfall of £18,600. At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the same couple will require £34,600 in cash savings to meet the financial requirement by that means alone, i.e. the ‘floor’ amount of £16,000, plus the shortfall of £18,600."

There's also an easy to follow chart on page 46.

The Statement of Intent:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/news/soi-fam-mig.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.