Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am the US partner of a UK national. We are currently in the process of completing the unmarried partner visa application for myself. We have all of the relationship requirements met (join lease agreements for 4+ years, joint insurance, joint utilities, supporting letters, photographs etc), but have question regarding the financial requirements. I have been been working and supporting us both (exceeding the 18,000 pounds annually required) while she finished her doctorate and looking for employment in the US and UK (past 6 months). She has been offered a job in the UK exceeding the minimum annual requirement however has no documented employment for the past 12 months.

From what I read in the application, she is unable to sponsor me due to this lack of prior earning employment. Is any one aware of any precedent established with takes into account this type of situation?

Despite the fact that both incomes (my current US employment and her offered UK employment) exceed the minimum requirements, we do not have total saving meeting the required total amount. Can partial savings (not totaling to the full amount necessary to meet financial requirements on savings alone) along with offered employment meet the previous 12 month income outlined in the financial requirement portion of the application? I don't want to have to wait 6 months for her to establish her employment before I am able to join her in the UK.

We fulfill the requirement for accommodation; my partner has inherited her recently deceased mother's house in the UK. Our intention was that I would assist her with in executing the will and renovation of the property. However, we were concerned due to her lack of employment for the past 12-6 months we will not meet the financial requirements and will not be able to assist her.

We are both highly educated, with her holding a Ph.D. and myself a Masters, and are concerned that despite this, and being able to prove our substantive relationship and her offer of employment, that we will not be able to enter the UK together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We do not wish to spend 6 months apart, especially at a time when my partner is settling her mother's estate.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Yes, you have hit a snag, and current rules don't allow any exceptions. So you either built up your savings to the full £62,500 required and keep at that level for 6 months, or she has to go and work in UK for 6 months before being able to sponsor you. Your employment earnings play no part in your visa application. You can probably come over as visitor while she is starting work, and then go home to apply for your spouse visa under Cat A. You can't do any work, paid or unpaid, while you are here as visitor. Another alternative is if you can be sponsored for a Tier 2 visa, such as intra-company transfer.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Yes, you have hit a snag, and current rules don't allow any exceptions. So you either built up your savings to the full £62,500 required and keep at that level for 6 months, or she has to go and work in UK for 6 months before being able to sponsor you. Your employment earnings play no part in your visa application. You can probably come over as visitor while she is starting work, and then go home to apply for your spouse visa under Cat A. You can't do any work, paid or unpaid, while you are here as visitor. Another alternative is if you can be sponsored for a Tier 2 visa, such as intra-company transfer.
Agree..... very good advice. Six months apart is not a long time when you consider this could set you up to be together for 40 years !!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.