Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been searching the forum and can see my options are very limited to non existant, with the economy like it is, a sponsor is not going to happen, or very unlikely, but i'm looking at doing it in stages to help me move in time, first off, visit on a 90 day visa, and while in America get a driver licence, and maybe a cdl, paid for by myself, or option 2, get some work on a harvest crew if i'm luck that will get me experience as well as a cdl, and a tempory work visa and see how it goes, maybe do a couple of seasons or so, coming back to the UK between seasons, option 3 would mean getting a cdl some how, must be some options out there, and buy a semi truck and become an O/O, would becoming an O/O entitle me to an investor type of visa as i would have started my own business.

would i be able to get a cdl as a non resident, i have 20 years truck driving experience in the UK so the test shouldn't be a problem if the American system lets me.

i have access to an address in illinois where i have previously had a conversion van regestered and insured by me

if all else fails, find a bride and marry, but would like to do it myself, as being an over the road trucker is not good for marrages.

any other options advice would be good, because one way or another i am coming to america!!!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have been searching the forum and can see my options are very limited to non existant, with the economy like it is, a sponsor is not going to happen, or very unlikely, but i'm looking at doing it in stages to help me move in time, first off, visit on a 90 day visa, and while in America get a driver licence, and maybe a cdl, paid for by myself, or option 2, get some work on a harvest crew if i'm luck that will get me experience as well as a cdl, and a tempory work visa and see how it goes, maybe do a couple of seasons or so, coming back to the UK between seasons, option 3 would mean getting a cdl some how, must be some options out there, and buy a semi truck and become an O/O, would becoming an O/O entitle me to an investor type of visa as i would have started my own business.

would i be able to get a cdl as a non resident, i have 20 years truck driving experience in the UK so the test shouldn't be a problem if the American system lets me.

i have access to an address in illinois where i have previously had a conversion van regestered and insured by me

if all else fails, find a bride and marry, but would like to do it myself, as being an over the road trucker is not good for marrages.

any other options advice would be good, because one way or another i am coming to america!!!!!
1: You cannot work on the VWP.
2: No serious trucking business is going to employ anyone as a driver who is not legally able to work in these post-9/11 days. I doubt whether you will secure a license, though since there are 50 authorities and a few odds and ends, there may be some loopholes still left.
3. There are temporary work visas -- h2a and h2b. They are for seasonal work only and go quickly. I've never seen someone manage to work as a trucker using one, and I have no idea whether it is permitted. They are mainly meant for the agriculture and tourist trade industries. You cannot transfer to one of these from a VWP entry without leaving the country.
4. Determination is usually good. But however much you want to live in the US, the only option you've presented that is not a rank outsider in terms of success is the "m" one. Be aware though, that marrying purely for immigration benefit is a felony.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Slow down and PLEASE use punctiation.
Why do you want to immigrate to the US? What do you expect to find here?

No social security number = no drivers license = no CDL

Seasonal help is exactly that - manual labor or hospitality. No employer will let you behind the steering wheel of a truck for liability reasons. You have no CDL, you are not insured.

You are not creating jobs so buying a semi makes no sense.

There are CDL schools out there and they offer job placement but they forget to mention the visa problem.

What do you know about long-distance hauls? Driving team East Coast - West Coast and back in four days. Your 20 years in the UK are local hauls in small trucks. As an independent how do you plan to keep your loads coming? Your insurance will start from scratch.

I have seen professionals go through midlife crisis during my days in banking. Buy a rig, buy a trailor, live life on the highway - until the bank calls the note or the rig jackknives or a load goes bad.

Simple question - how much money can you spend on a rig? How much of it can you afford to loose?

Have you looked at Canada as an alternative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, what your saying is i got an uphill battle, from the info i got, the harvest season from may to november takes on non US, gets them licence and is maybe the only way to go.

had a quick look at canada, but have to say i am not keen, I have spent a few months in america over the years, did a 6000 mile vacation road trip last year to see if it was like i was expecting, and now i have decided one way or another i am going to move, have looked into loads of options.

I would like also to buy property and rent it out, is that an option to getting my foot in the door

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
so, what your saying is i got an uphill battle, from the info i got, the harvest season from may to november takes on non US, gets them licence and is maybe the only way to go.

had a quick look at canada, but have to say i am not keen, I have spent a few months in america over the years, did a 6000 mile vacation road trip last year to see if it was like i was expecting, and now i have decided one way or another i am going to move, have looked into loads of options.

I would like also to buy property and rent it out, is that an option to getting my foot in the door
No - seasonal worker gets you a few months and nothing else.
Unless you create US jobs and invest a reasonable amount - rental property will not do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No - seasonal worker gets you a few months and nothing else.
Unless you create US jobs and invest a reasonable amount - rental property will not do.
How do the harvesting companys get non US residents a cdl, or is it, they tell you they will but in reality they don't

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

Your plan of coming over, getting a CDL and securing suitable status to live and work here through that is not practically possible. I'm pretty sure it will fail at the securing a CDL status. Even if it doesn't, it will fail at the last stage -- guaranteed!

Neither is the plan of buying property and renting it out able to secure you suitable status unless it's an EB5 plan with commercial property and you putting $0.5M down on the table.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
so is my only option to marry an American woman. there must be another way!!!
Lots of other ways.

Get a PhD in a nanotechnology.
Reveal where bin Laden is hiding.

There are two to get you started.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is another way.
Get Canadian Citizenship when the work kicks off again (whenever the recession ends).
With Canadian Citizenship AFAIK you are able to move pretty freely about in the States.
Rumour has it some desperado Brits buzz off to Canada. Slip across the border into the states and work the tourist trails in the Rocky Mountains. But you need to be pretty good at Adventure Training for this deal. You are also pretty much an outlaw (in the eyes of the Feds).

Good luck! You aren't the only one piss*d off at the draconian state of the USA immigration policy.

Bring plenty of money mate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, for those that said it couldn't be done, i'm now in the states, looking at taking my CDL in the next week or 2, Social security number applyed for, should be through in a 10 days, got work till december and sure to be beyond, and i didn't have to marry either, another english guy on the company is going for his green card soon, so it is possable you just have to look hard enough and not give up.

·
Banned
934 Posts
so is my only option to marry an American woman. there must be another way!!!
Yeha marriage to American is your only option. Plenty of American girls out there who want a UK visa hehehehehe.

Seriously though what about Canada?? Canada needs you!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
well, for those that said it couldn't be done, i'm now in the states, looking at taking my CDL in the next week or 2, Social security number applyed for, should be through in a 10 days, got work till december and sure to be beyond, and i didn't have to marry either, another english guy on the company is going for his green card soon, so it is possable you just have to look hard enough and not give up.

So go on -- explain your status to us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've managed to find a harvesting company that also do over the road, another english guy on the company is going for his green card with the help of the company, early days yet but i have work here till christmas at least, yes i am only on H2A at the moment, but most the over the road work is harvest associated so still covered by H2A, several south africans here as well as irish, will keep updates coming as time goes on to maybe help others

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
i've managed to find a harvesting company that also do over the road, another english guy on the company is going for his green card with the help of the company, early days yet but i have work here till christmas at least, yes i am only on H2A at the moment, but most the over the road work is harvest associated so still covered by H2A, several south africans here as well as irish, will keep updates coming as time goes on to maybe help others
It's going to be a perilous path. The employer needs to obtain labor certification at every 12-month renewal, and there's a compulsory 6-month break after 3 years. The only category for filing for permenant residency is EB3, which currently has a backlog of over 7 years. When the employer files for this, any re-entry into the country is dangerous since you will have demonstrated immigrant intent yet you will be entering on a decidedly non-immigrant visa. Yet you won't be able to maintain status here under the H1a and so will need to leave unless you secure alternative means (e.g. marriage to a USC).

Good luck and keep us posted -- but anyone who makes it to the end on purely an H1a ticket to green card would deserve a medal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can I ask whereabouts in the states you are?
It sounds like the mid-west or 'corn/cotton belt' areas.
It's heartening to know that the elusive green card is up for grabs there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's going to be a perilous path. The employer needs to obtain labor certification at every 12-month renewal, and there's a compulsory 6-month break after 3 years. The only category for filing for permenant residency is EB3, which currently has a backlog of over 7 years. When the employer files for this, any re-entry into the country is dangerous since you will have demonstrated immigrant intent yet you will be entering on a decidedly non-immigrant visa. Yet you won't be able to maintain status here under the H1a and so will need to leave unless you secure alternative means (e.g. marriage to a USC).

Good luck and keep us posted -- but anyone who makes it to the end on purely an H1a ticket to green card would deserve a medal.
Something my friend does who is Scottish (who has a green card but not permenant residency) is to leave on his UK passport but come back on his green card :)
He's been doing it for ten years and apart from some confusion from the HLS people he's never been refused entry yet :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Something my friend does who is Scottish (who has a green card but not permenant residency) is to leave on his UK passport but come back on his green card :)
He's been doing it for ten years and apart from some confusion from the HLS people he's never been refused entry yet :)
I'm confused. Do you mean he has a green card but he doesn't live in the US?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
The magic word being "yet".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts