Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm a newbie so be gentle ;)
I'm looking at moving to Vancouver for a minimum of one year in Jan 2011. My stay may be longer depending on visas/general life but anyhu!!

I'm looking for any advice really on how to go about it. I've done a couple of visa checks online and been given a good points score, although I'm completely aware that this may not be anywhere near the real visa application.
I was also wondering where a good area to live in Vancouver would be? As in, are there any particular areas to avoid, known crime hotspots/dodgy areas to live, good access to the city centre whilst still a decent price.

I'm aware alot can change in a year in terms of pricings but would be good to get a heads up. All advice/info would be great as I'm sure there's absolutely loads that I haven't thought through!!!

I'm 24 and a web programmer if that helps with any advice :)

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm a newbie so be gentle ;)
I'm looking at moving to Vancouver for a minimum of one year in Jan 2011. My stay may be longer depending on visas/general life but anyhu!!

I'm looking for any advice really on how to go about it. I've done a couple of visa checks online and been given a good points score, although I'm completely aware that this may not be anywhere near the real visa application.
I was also wondering where a good area to live in Vancouver would be? As in, are there any particular areas to avoid, known crime hotspots/dodgy areas to live, good access to the city centre whilst still a decent price.

I'm aware alot can change in a year in terms of pricings but would be good to get a heads up. All advice/info would be great as I'm sure there's absolutely loads that I haven't thought through!!!

I'm 24 and a web programmer if that helps with any advice :)

Thanks
Michael
Yes there is a hell of a lot to think about!!!
I just contacted a legal firm in Canada about it and reading the reply gave me a headache. Although i was enquiring about a permanent move myself.

I know someone who lives in Vancouver who i could ask...but you'll probably have replies on here by the time i contact them. It'd be a day or two before they got back to me.

I'll ask the question tonight though just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is a hell of a lot to think about!!!
I just contacted a legal firm in Canada about it and reading the reply gave me a headache. Although i was enquiring about a permanent move myself.

I know someone who lives in Vancouver who i could ask...but you'll probably have replies on here by the time i contact them. It'd be a day or two before they got back to me.

I'll ask the question tonight though just in case.
Hi Blitzwing85,

Thanks that would be brilliant :) As I say any info is good info ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Make sure you look carefully at the prices of rent & home purchase as Vancouver is very expensive. Also make sure you have a job before doing anything else.
Look up BUNAC on the Canadian web site for immigrants it may be of use to you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Michael

To get an idea of the cost of rentals, you might want to browse the classified section of 2 Vancouver newspapers - The Vancouver Sun and The Province. Each community tends to have a local newspaper, but the 2 noted above have the largest circulation base. There are also a number of online classified websites that offer housing rentals such as Craigslist or kijiji.

Best of luck with your research!

Oggy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.