Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm a UK citizen, (which is where i currently live) and i am wanting to emigrate to the US (California specifically). My situation is that i am a 35 male, financially very secure, former investment banker (Goldmans + UBS), been self employed as a trader / investor for a few years , live with my g/f (who would be coming with me and is a nurse) and looking to move to spend more time outdoors, pursue new interests/hobbies and live a healthier lifestyle. While in the US i would still do some trading / investing but the real goal is to get away from the laptop and be outdoors more. Perhaps become a personal trainer or something along those lines of starting my own outdoor business.

At the moment, it would seem me only way in would be to go back to working for an American investment bank and get them to sponsor me. I have contacted both my old firms and they would love me back. However, this would completely defeat the purpose of my move as i don't want to be stuck in an office, i don't want a 9-5 job and i don't want to live in New York.

I was wondering if there are any methods where donating a sum of money to the local area i would be living in would help my chances? I know there used to be something along the lines of this to get into Aus. I can prove my finances, would pay for my property in cash etc etc and with the possibility of me creating jobs by starting my own company.

Anyway, you get the jist. I have a utopian dream that after some research i fear is almost impossible so thought i would clutch at some straws and see if there is any way for me and my girlfriend to get in before i turn my attention to Europe and possibly Asia.

Thanks
:)

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
You may have to invest in a business to get a visa. But there's still the issue of your g/f. Nursing can be tricky to "transfer" - she'd have to qualify in the state in which you want to live, and unless you marry her, she'll have to get her own visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Come on - as former trader you should be used to research:>)
travel.state.gov and uscis.gov are the two official sources. Unless you go the employment route there is investment. 500k invested at risk tend to bring a Green Card. Investing in a business means running it, creating employment and renewing it on a regular basis. Pick your poison.
G/f will have to go through Us certification. American Nurses Association is a good place to start the research.
Go through the sites of US Department of Statistics and US Department of Labor to learn a bit about personal trainers and specific businesses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.