Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for visas so I can move over to the States but everything seems to be really difficult or I don't meet requirements.

I am engaged to an American citizen and would like to move over there with her but don't know how! I will become a certified electrician hopefully by early next year (2011) and I want to move to Maryland!

What visas could I go for and how can I remain an electrician so my time in the UK was not wasted?

I would like to eventually go to school and become a cop in the States and would need a full time job upon arrival.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks =)

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Visa
Read through the stickies and use the search function. Marriage to US citizen. Yes that is your only chance.

Electrician
There is also quite a bit of information in older posts. Basically you will have to get licensed in the Staate of MD.
Maryland
Maryland Licensing: Contractor, engineer, architect, surveyor, landscape architect registration, license guide

Full time job
You will have to do what a lot of other folks do - apply for jobs; beat the sidewalk after you have your Green Card in hand.

Cop
Some smaller municipalities hire Green Card holders.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
What visas could I go for
Probably K1 or CR1 depending on how you do it. These visas take a long time to process, generally 6 to 10 months, so start your planning early.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts