Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bev is a fantastic forum contributor with much help and advice on living in France; learn the language, assimulate, join clubs etc.

Where are all the like minded UK State pensioners who are living the dream, or otherwise.

I really need to read of your experiences and what benefits you get from the UK to help you achieve an alternative life style in France on the minimum of income.

Delay the Nanny or Grandpa nap and hit the keyboard!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bev is a fantastic forum contributor with much help and advice on living in France; learn the language, assimulate, join clubs etc.

Where are all the like minded UK State pensioners who are living the dream, or otherwise.

I really need to read of your experiences and what benefits you get from the UK to help you achieve an alternative life style in France on the minimum of income.

Delay the Nanny or Grandpa nap and hit the keyboard!
Hi,
If you mean UK state pensioners with no other significant income, the only benefit available from the UK is the form E121 which gives free access to the french health system on the same terms as a french citizen.
Another advantage is that as the UK state pension is taxable in France , without other income ,(at present) no tax is due, and a further (hidden) advantage is that , unlike for french pensioners, no social contributions are payable on the UK pension.
If your house is paid for, you can live (a fairly basic life-style) on two full UK state pensions.

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
I have to be honest and tell you that most of the pensioners I know here in France (from the US or UK) worked for some period of time in France, usually just immediately prior to retiring. This changes the equation considerably, especially when it comes to health care provision.

Also, as I see you are planning on buying a place to live, it helps to have the money available (from the sale of another home, an inheritance or some other lump sum) to purchase your home outright. The banks in France are very conservative about loaning money and often will only make a mortgage that runs until your retirement date unless you have some other significant source of income other than salary. The general rule is that they cannot make a loan where the repayments are more than about a third of your income.

The French government has a number of programs to aid retirees, including exoneration from television tax and some exoneration from property taxes for those of limited means. Most towns have "meals on wheels" home delivery and for those with certain handicaps or limited means, there is 100% health care coverage available through the sécu. But I don't know the details about how one would qualify for these programs, especially if you arrive in France after retirement.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi,
If you mean UK state pensioners with no other significant income, the only benefit available from the UK is the form E121 which gives free access to the french health system on the same terms as a french citizen.
Another advantage is that as the UK state pension is taxable in France , without other income ,(at present) no tax is due, and a further (hidden) advantage is that , unlike for french pensioners, no social contributions are payable on the UK pension.
If your house is paid for, you can live (a fairly basic life-style) on two full UK state pensions.
PS. I forgot to mention you will still get the UK winter fuel payment (if you have qualified before you leave), and may also qualify for any french fuel allowance that may be available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to be honest and tell you that most of the pensioners I know here in France (from the US or UK) worked for some period of time in France, usually just immediately prior to retiring. This changes the equation considerably, especially when it comes to health care provision.

Also, as I see you are planning on buying a place to live, it helps to have the money available (from the sale of another home, an inheritance or some other lump sum) to purchase your home outright. The banks in France are very conservative about loaning money and often will only make a mortgage that runs until your retirement date unless you have some other significant source of income other than salary. The general rule is that they cannot make a loan where the repayments are more than about a third of your income.

The French government has a number of programs to aid retirees, including exoneration from television tax and some exoneration from property taxes for those of limited means. Most towns have "meals on wheels" home delivery and for those with certain handicaps or limited means, there is 100% health care coverage available through the sécu. But I don't know the details about how one would qualify for these programs, especially if you arrive in France after retirement.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks again Bev, you are a mine of information and I really appreciate these details in painting a picture for me. As you know I am a "newbie" not only to this forum but to this computer also. Thanks also for deleting some of my earlier clumsy efforts!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Thanks Parsnips,

this is the detailed information I was looking for. You are a very active forum member as seen when I follow threads. Any information concerning UK Pensioners is appreciated. Things have changed a little in the last 35 years since I was living there. I am in Oz at the moment, but hopefully France in the near future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
Hi,
We are moving to France this year, and one obvious concern is how much we need to live on.
Parsnips states that ''you can live (a fairly basic life-style) on two full UK state pensions''.
As the state pension for a couple is £7919 pa, I would think that life would be a struggle, as it would be in the UK.
I would appreciate any comments on living standards one could expect, on the following pension levels. £15k pa £20k pa £30k pa.
This assumes a retired couple living near Perigueux and no mortgage.
thanks terry

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
Hi,
We are moving to France this year, and one obvious concern is how much we need to live on.
Parsnips states that ''you can live (a fairly basic life-style) on two full UK state pensions''.
As the state pension for a couple is £7919 pa, I would think that life would be a struggle, as it would be in the UK.
I would appreciate any comments on living standards one could expect, on the following pension levels. £15k pa £20k pa £30k pa.
This assumes a retired couple living near Perigueux and no mortgage.
thanks terry
One other big factor that really throws a spanner in the works for retirement planning is the issue of exchange rates.

With the euro practically at par with the pound, 8000 pounds is only worth about 8800 euros. You won't get far on that.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
As I have control over my pension, I can take a pension up to £30k pa.
This amount gives us a moderately comfortable standard of living in the UK.
As you state, the exchange rate is not good, so therefore, it is becoming more expensive to live in France, and if I cannot maintain a reasonable standard of living it is not worth it.
One advantage though is the lower tax rates in France.
terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.