Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
thanks for any help you guys can give.

I am a British citizen and am hoping to get married to a sri lankan citizen within the next 5 months. I am currently unemployed and job hunting (i do not claim benefits), but have managed to get the £62.5k savings requirement.

But I need to have it for another 6 months before I can apply for a spouse visa. In the mean time I would like to bring my (soon to be) wife over on a family visitor visa, stay maybe 3 or 4 months. And then go back to Sri Lanka do the spouse visa application once I have my 6 months worth of bank statements.

My question is what are the financial requirements exactly for me to sponsor her for a visitor visa? Because everywhere i read i need payslips and show pay, but i dont have that. I will however have the £62.5k savings, although not 6 months worth.

1) are my savings enough to do a visitor sponsor for say 4 months, whilst i have no job, and the savings havent been there 6 months yet?
-I live in a rented 3 bed house, paid for by parents, 4 of us living here at the moment.
-I have a relative with good income and a fully owned house with a spare bedroom nearby if that makes a difference to help the sponsorship.

2) to prove she will go back; unfortunately she is unemployed, just does some small jobs at home. She doesnt have any significant savings or assets. She has family there (parent, siblings, nieces nephews, grandparents etc) whom she lives with. So apart from those relatives would the fact she needs to go back to do the spouse visa application be enough?

3) If I bring her here on the spouse visa (and i guess this applies to visitor visa question too) and I have to go abroad to the EU for work, as the type of work i do may require moving around the UK and EU, can she freely move around the EU with me whilst on a UK Spouse visa, and return to UK no problem during the visa validity?

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/worker-pensioner/non-eu-family-members/spouses-children-parents_en.htm this link suggests there is no problem for her to be in EU with me even without a spouse visa? But the unknown issue is will it cause problems with a spouse visa to be outside of the UK during its validity.
same question applies to visitor visa.​

Thank you kindly!

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Hi, thanks for any help you guys can give. I am a British citizen and am hoping to get married to a sri lankan citizen within the next 5 months. I am currently unemployed and job hunting (i do not claim benefits), but have managed to get the £62.5k savings requirement. But I need to have it for another 6 months before I can apply for a spouse visa. In the mean time I would like to bring my (soon to be) wife over on a family visitor visa, stay maybe 3 or 4 months. And then go back to Sri Lanka do the spouse visa application once I have my 6 months worth of bank statements. My question is what are the financial requirements exactly for me to sponsor her for a visitor visa? Because everywhere i read i need payslips and show pay, but i dont have that. I will however have the £62.5k savings, although not 6 months worth. 1) are my savings enough to do a visitor sponsor for say 4 months, whilst i have no job, and the savings havent been there 6 months yet? -I live in a rented 3 bed house, paid for by parents, 4 of us living here at the moment. -I have a relative with good income and a fully owned house with a spare bedroom nearby if that makes a difference to help the sponsorship.
Well the amount is enough but if you have to dip into your savings while your wife is in UK, the you won't be able maintain the minimum balance needed to sponsor her for spouse visa.

2) to prove she will go back; unfortunately she is unemployed, just does some small jobs at home. She doesnt have any significant savings or assets. She has family there (parent, siblings, nieces nephews, grandparents etc) whom she lives with. So apart from those relatives would the fact she needs to go back to do the spouse visa application be enough?
That's going to be difficult.

3) If I bring her here on the spouse visa (and i guess this applies to visitor visa question too) and I have to go abroad to the EU for work, as the type of work i do may require moving around the UK and EU, can she freely move around the EU with me whilst on a UK Spouse visa, and return to UK no problem during the visa validity? europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/worker-pensioner/non-eu-family-members/spouses-children-parents_en.htm this link suggests there is no problem for her to be in EU with me even without a spouse visa? But the unknown issue is will it cause problems with a spouse visa to be outside of the UK during its validity. same question applies to visitor visa.
Her UK spouse visa isn't usually sufficient for visa-free travel in EU as she is here under UK immigration rules, not EU regulations. She risks been turned away at EU border, and airlines may refuse her to board the flight. She should get Schengen visa, preferably of one year or more duration so that she can travel to any Schengen state for 90-in-180 days without having to get a new visa each time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the amount is enough but if you have to dip into your savings while your wife is in UK, the you won't be able maintain the minimum balance needed to sponsor her for spouse visa.
So we can use savings instead of salary to sponsor her? I would be able to work on and off enough to make sure those savings wont be dipped into anyway untill permanant employment is found. But I can use it as proof to show ukba?
Or being my wife, can my relative who has good income and a room nearby be the sponsor for the visit?

Would it alternatively be possible for her to take a course and come here as a student, just so we can be together until we have the ability to do the spouse visa application?

That's going to be difficult.
Any advice to give on this one?

Her UK spouse visa isn't usually sufficient for visa-free travel in EU as she is here under UK immigration rules, not EU regulations. She risks been turned away at EU border, and airlines may refuse her to board the flight. She should get Schengen visa, preferably of one year or more duration so that she can travel to any Schengen state for 90-in-180 days without having to get a new visa each time.
This isnt really the biggest deal , the more important one is being with her in the UK than being apart. But just IF i had to go to EU during her spouse visa time, the rules on the EU site i posted state:
"Workers

If you are working in another country – as an employee, self-employed or on a posting, your non-EU spouse, (grand) children or (grand)parents can stay there with you without having to meet any other conditions."
So i think as long as im there there is no issue for her to be there, irrespective of her spouse visa, but the main issue is would she be free to leave the uk and re-enter it during her spouse visa time?

I can investigate the Schengen visa too later thanks. The more pertinent query at this time is the visitor visa.

thank you kindly for your help :)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
As for travelling to other EU states, as a visa national she will require a Schengen visa initially. If you are going to work there for a considerable period, she will then be able to get a residence card. As I said, even though she may have the right to accompany you, in reality she will face considerable hassle at the border and when trying to board a flight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.