Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I can't find this answer in the forums anywhere, but forgive me if I've missed it....

Me (US citizen) and DH (UK citizen) are working to meet the financial requirements for the Spouse Visa. He has a job earning 14k, and thus I know we need 6 month savings equalling 27.5k.

My question is, if I share a 27.5k savings account with my parents for the 6 months prior to applying, will that count, or does it have to be in my name only?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, if your savings are in joint account with your parents (i.e. 3 account holders), then only 1/3 of the total can be put towards the requirement, i.e. your share of the total. If with only one parent, then 1/2.

If you are still in US together, your UK husband's current earnings in US must meet £18,600. You can't use savings to plug the difference. Then in addition he needs a job offer paying at least £18,600 starting within 3 months of return. If he currently only earns £14k, then he needs to start a job in UK paying £18,600 minimum and after 6 months in the job, he can sponsor you for your visa.

£14k plus £27,500 in savings will only work if he is starting a job in UK paying £14k and you have savings in your or your husband's own name or jointly with the balance not dropping for 6 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that's bad news for us, but it makes sense. DH is working in the UK, so we'd be able to use savings, but unfortunately it seems we won't have enough. He works in IT and thought finding a job with sufficient income would be far easier than it's turned out to be. I'm earning plenty in the US, and if they let me get over there and work I'd double our income easily, but unfortunately none of that matters! Smh. These new regulations are a real nightmare, for us and for many others it seems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.