Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm marrying my Kenyan fiancée in April in Nairobi and then we are hoping to get a Spouse Visa and return to the UK. I have a few questions that I couldn't find explicitly answered in other threads, and I'd like to be sure because I can't afford to have a failed application.

Our relationship is only a year old, we have plenty of photographs, bus tickets, letters, emails, skype/phone records, a house contract and a letter from our previous employers that show the legitimacy and progression of our relationship in Kenya/Tanzania. Will the length of the relationship suffice?

Her work experience is all in tourism, hospitality and customer services. Will the low skilled profession be taken into account?

My main problem is that I am currently a postgraduate student and have no source of income and will have no savings after the wedding. My parents are willing to act as a third party sponsor until I find employment upon completing my studies. Is it ok for me to contribute nothing and for the third party sponsor to assume the full responsibility?

Thanks for reading,
Sam

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
I'm marrying my Kenyan fiancée in April in Nairobi and then we are hoping to get a Spouse Visa and return to the UK. I have a few questions that I couldn't find explicitly answered in other threads, and I'd like to be sure because I can't afford to have a failed application.

Our relationship is only a year old, we have plenty of photographs, bus tickets, letters, emails, skype/phone records, a house contract and a letter from our previous employers that show the legitimacy and progression of our relationship in Kenya/Tanzania. Will the length of the relationship suffice?

Her work experience is all in tourism, hospitality and customer services. Will the low skilled profession be taken into account?

My main problem is that I am currently a postgraduate student and have no source of income and will have no savings after the wedding. My parents are willing to act as a third party sponsor until I find employment upon completing my studies. Is it ok for me to contribute nothing and for the third party sponsor to assume the full responsibility?
As they say, it's quality not merely the length of relationship that matters. Only you can answer if your relationship will withstand the scrutiny of UKBA. You seem to have the right kind of evidence. They do want to see joint financial responsibility, such as joint bank account, savings and insurance policies.

Relying totally on your parents isn't an ideal situation, and external sponsors are meant to contribute to your financial resources but not to be the sole source of funds. What if neither you can secure a job after 6 months? Can your parents support you both indefinitely? Overreliance on secondary sponsors is one of the grounds for refusal. It's better to postpone your wedding and visa application until you finish your course and get a job, but the time isn't on your side and the rules on family migration are said to be tightened considerably in near future (no details known yet), which will almost certainly mean failed application based on preliminary discussion, as they are said to exclude external sponsors and UK sponsor's income to be raised to £26k a year.

So it's up to you. I'd say that, realistically speaking, yours is a borderline case. They tend to assume your fiancée to be an economic migrant rather than motivated by love and commitment, so somehow you hav to prove them wrong. Not easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.