Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the financial requirements to obtain a UK Spouse Visa. I am Malaysian and my wife is a British Citizen, we met whilst I was doing my degree in the UK and got married 2 years ago. I had previously been working in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa but decided to relocate back to Malaysia for family reasons. My wife moved to Malaysia after our wedding.

We’ve had some changes to our personal circumstances, the first being that my wife is pregnant with our first child, and secondly my wife would like to resume her career as a nurse in the UK in about a year or so. And quite frankly, we do miss the life we had in the UK.

From the research that I have done, we are not prepared to split the family and spend 6 months apart for my wife to work and satisfy the requirements through income in the UK. As such, our only realistic option is through Category D, SAVINGS.

We haven’t exactly been prudent with our funds over the last few years (lesson learnt) and the majority of the £62,500 will be coming from our parents as a gift, (£60,000) to be precise whilst the balance will be from our savings and income.

I understand the need to state the source of the savings. However I am concerned that because most of these savings originate from my parents gift, my spouse visa application will be refused.

Is there a limit on how much of the savings requirement can be from a gift source? Or is there a minimum amount that has to originate from your own earnings/ savings?

Would appreciate some clarity on this.

Thanks so much
saint 007

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As far as I know, there is no limit on the amount of money given as a gift but you will have to get a letter from your parents stating that the money is a gift and bank statements showing the money leaving their account and being deposited in yours. The statements should show that they have not been left financially disadvantaged by giving you the gift of such a large sum, meaning they still have enough funds for their own use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Whatshouldwedo,

Glad to hear that there is no such limit, good point on ensuring that proof that my parents have not been left financially disadvantaged (which they haven't).

Cheers :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all, Just in the process of transferring the funds to my account. My intention is to apply for my spouse visa on the basis of meeting the financial requirement via Category D (Savings).

I am considering transferring this into a fixed deposit account as I would earn more interest from such an account when compared to leaving it in a current/ savings account. Would this be acceptable to the ECO?

The amount may be withdrawn immediately (although with a penalty). However my concern is within Financial Requirement Guideline (Appendix FM 1.7) which states under Item 7.4.3. under point 4 that:

The account is a current account or a savings account

Appreciate any advice on this. Whilst I would like to earn as much interest as possible from my savings, this is certainly not at the risk of finding out that the fixed deposit account is not considered as an acceptable source.

Thanks very much everyone!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We used two fixed deposit accounts to apply for my husband's spousal visa last year, the funds in which could be immediately accessed with penalty. We did however attach a letter from each bank confirming that the funds could be immediately withdrawn if necessary.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Fixed deposit account with immediate access with penalty is fine. You do reset the 6-month clock when you transfer your funds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for sharing your experience Whatshouldwedo. Hope it all went well with your application! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.