Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After previously feeling quite confident in regards to my wife's upcoming UK spouse visa application after the last thread I made [here], I log in to briefly check the forums, only to find the thread mentioning the £25,700 Maintenance Requirement that may happen in June. Sadly, because of the fact I'm still waiting on my Self Assessment documentation which won't arrive until around the end of April (according to my agent), it means we won't be able to apply for our visa until around mid-May time.

Sadly as mentioned in my previous thread, my salary before tax only comes to around £21,000, meaning I earn around £1,600 a month. Living costs are quite low for me, averaging around £700-800 a month. Understandably, I'm really quite distressed right now. We've had setback after setback with our application, and now this one appears to be the final nail in the coffin for us. It's just heartbreaking to see that despite the fact I have a free £800-900 a month (before tax), that it now apparently won't be enough to support my wife after June.

I know there's still a chance it may not be introduced in June, but it sure seems to be looking that way. I just don't know what to do right now.. by the time our application is looked at, the new rules will most likely have taken effect. I don't have any other financial support other than a grandfather who has a fairly decent pension. (which I'd never dream of asking for. He's lived a long life, he deserves to keep every penny of it. Plus I highly doubt he keeps any documentation to prove it anyway)

Should we just accept the fact that we won't ever be living together in the UK? Or is there still hope for us?

If it came down to it, I'd move to the US to be with her, if that option turned out to be easier. Despite the fact we actually got married in the US rather than the UK, we'd hoped to settle in the UK, since I've got us a nice home ready in a quiet scenic town in Cornwall. (I should've mentioned earlier, I'm a UK Citizen, she's a US Citizen) At the end of the day, we just want to be together on a permanent basis, no matter where it is we're living. We just want to start our lives together, at long last.

I apologise for sounding so negative and downhearted. It's just starting to get to me a bit now.. :(

If anyone can give any advice, or opinions on our chances of getting a UK spouse visa, despite all that I've mentioned above, I'd very much appreciate it.

Best regards,
Xarain

·
Registered
39,156 Posts
Hi all,

After previously feeling quite confident in regards to my wife's upcoming UK spouse visa application after the last thread I made [here], I log in to briefly check the forums, only to find the thread mentioning the £25,700 Maintenance Requirement that may happen in June. Sadly, because of the fact I'm still waiting on my Self Assessment documentation which won't arrive until around the end of April (according to my agent), it means we won't be able to apply for our visa until around mid-May time.

Sadly as mentioned in my previous thread, my salary before tax only comes to around £21,000, meaning I earn around £1,600 a month. Living costs are quite low for me, averaging around £700-800 a month. Understandably, I'm really quite distressed right now. We've had setback after setback with our application, and now this one appears to be the final nail in the coffin for us. It's just heartbreaking to see that despite the fact I have a free £800-900 a month (before tax), that it now apparently won't be enough to support my wife after June.

I know there's still a chance it may not be introduced in June, but it sure seems to be looking that way. I just don't know what to do right now.. by the time our application is looked at, the new rules will most likely have taken effect. I don't have any other financial support other than a grandfather who has a fairly decent pension. (which I'd never dream of asking for. He's lived a long life, he deserves to keep every penny of it. Plus I highly doubt he keeps any documentation to prove it anyway)

Should we just accept the fact that we won't ever be living together in the UK? Or is there still hope for us?

If it came down to it, I'd move to the US to be with her, if that option turned out to be easier. Despite the fact we actually got married in the US rather than the UK, we'd hoped to settle in the UK, since I've got us a nice home ready in a quiet scenic town in Cornwall. (I should've mentioned earlier, I'm a UK Citizen, she's a US Citizen) At the end of the day, we just want to be together on a permanent basis, no matter where it is we're living. We just want to start our lives together, at long last.

I apologise for sounding so negative and downhearted. It's just starting to get to me a bit now.. :(

If anyone can give any advice, or opinions on our chances of getting a UK spouse visa, despite all that I've mentioned above, I'd very much appreciate it.
Provided your application is in, i.e. arrives at UKBA before June, it will be processed using existing rules. While the introduction may be delayed, if your maintenance is borderline or worse, you don't want to take chances, and like many people, you should put together your application now and apply before June.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got married last week and my now-husband is quite concerned about this too... I try to be cheerful for him, but I'm as concerned as he is... He is stuck in Atlanta as I type this, on his way back home after our teeny honeymoon... We are going to start getting our paperwork together as soon as he gets there, but I don't think we will have enough time to apply before june...

I just hope they don't pass this until later this year, because I have no idea how we'd deal with this...

Xarain, I wish you all the very best... Hopefully everything will work out just fine...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.