Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a US Citizen married to a UK Citizen, we live together in the US and plan on applying for a Spousal VISA for me so that we can move to the UK together.

My husband has lived in the US on a Green Card for over 20 years and plans on gaining citizenship status here before moving back to the UK, to make it easier to come back to visit. We have friends who we can stay with in UK until we find our own place. Will the fact that we're applying for my Spousal VISA from outside the UK and after he's lived here such a long time cause any kind of problem?

Also, he is an artist so although we share a bank account, almost all of our income is coming through me. I have a job offer in hand for the UK for £60,000 per annum and $10,000 in our US bank account. Will the fact that my sponsor/spouse doesn't have a salaried job lined up or the fact that he's been in the US so long cause any unforeseen issues?

Thank you for any advice. I am excited to call England our new home. :clap2:

·
Registered
38,993 Posts
Hello I am a US Citizen married to a UK Citizen, we live together in the US and plan on applying for a Spousal VISA for me so that we can move to the UK together.

My husband has lived in the US on a Green Card for over 20 years and plans on gaining citizenship status here before moving back to the UK, to make it easier to come back to visit. We have friends who we can stay with in UK until we find our own place. Will the fact that we're applying for my Spousal VISA from outside the UK and after he's lived here such a long time cause any kind of problem?
That shouldn't be a problem. At least you don't have to prove the durability of your relationship!

Also, he is an artist so although we share a bank account, almost all of our income is coming through me. I have a job offer in hand for the UK for £60,000 per annum and $10,000 in our US bank account. Will the fact that my sponsor/spouse doesn't have a salaried job lined up or the fact that he's been in the US so long cause any unforeseen issues?
Under current rules, there should be enough financial resources through established UK income (which in your case is zero), combined savings and help from thrid party (like relatives or friends) not to have to resort to public funds. You need to have £105.95 per week left over each week after paying for housing and council tax. If you are getting free accommodation and presumbaly no council tax, then your existing resources will last 60 weeks - usually they expect 26 weeks. You need to get your friend(s) to offer help in writing, enclosing bank statement to show they can afford it. Also enclose details of your job offer - that should help.

However, the rules are under review at the moment, and there is a speculation that revised regulations will stipulate much higher amount, up to £25,800 gross per year, and only existing UK income will be considered. We don't yet know what will happen to those who are both moving to UK together, with a job offer -nothing has been announced yet. In view of the uncertainty, I suggest you make the move sooner rather than later.
You can read the report on which the new rules may be based:
UK Border Agency | MAC publishes report on the family migration route.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joppa, thanks for your kindly & quick advice.

I have concerns because the friends who have offered for us to stay with them, it's really for only about 4-6 weeks, just long enough for us to find a place of our own. They are not close enough for us to ask them to show bank statements/show that they would support us financially. My husband's parents are UK citizens living in the UK but are elderly and living on a pension and don't have room in their house for us.

It's all sounding a bit discouraging. Would having a huge chunk of money in the bank make a difference? I suppose we could sell our house in the States and transfer it to a British Bank to show funds, but we were hoping to find out if we would adjust well to life in the UK before going that route. I'm having trouble thinking of an alternative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.