Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's no trouble at all. Show both passports where needed. If you are extra cautious, slip in your marriage certificate for good measure. No need to transfer your visa to your new passport.
Since you don't have BRP, you don't need to worry about it. When you renew your visa, your BRP will be in the new name.
Hi Joppa,

I have asked you a few questions before and wondered if you could help. I have the same situation as asked by the original poster, but wanted to know if advice had changed.

I need to renew my almost expired passport but want to do so in my married name now, but this would mean my Spousal Visa would be in my maiden name.

My issue is that my Visa is due for the new round of renewal FLR(M) - 5 year route) in February 2016 and the Croydon UKVI office have advised me that it would be up to me if i wasted to transfer it (TOC).
- I need to travel in October and a) don't want to run the risk of it not being back in time via postal application, b) don't want to have trouble getting back into the UK if my visa and passport are in different names (i would have just carried both if i wasn't changing my name)

Will it be a problem getting back in to the UK with my Visa in my old passport in my maiden name and a new passport in my married name?
I don't have a BRP as I am from NZ on a NZ passport, but I've had biometrics taken each visa application.

I've also seen on the site here some where if transferring the visa it has a new date on it, i would still have to apply at the end of the first visa period if i did have it transferred wouldn't i?

Also, have you ever heard of a 1st application spousal visa being valid for 2yrs 8 months (26/05/2013 - 26/02/2016), or should i be wary of that? (that is what is printed in my visa)

Many thanks,
Renee

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't reopen threads that are over 2 years old and whose information is likely to be outdated. I have started a new thread for you.
Im sorry, I tried to start a new one, but couldn't figure out how, the site is not always the most user friendly! thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did anyone have any extra advice?

Point 1.
I have combed the site myself, and gathered that I could apply for a TOC to receive a BRP in the new name (married name) of my new passport instead of my Visa Sticker (as per the new rules) but it wouldn't really make sense as I am renewing my spousal stay for the extension period (for 5 year route) very soon...

So if my entry date to the UK was end May 2012 then I can do it 30 months - 28 days after this date. Making it about the end of October 2015 when I can first go for a Premium appt within the UK, and they would be issuing me with a BRP then anyway.

Question 1. is there a link to advise of this 30 months fact? i cant find it anywhere here, or on the UKVI site?

Point 2.
I need to travel after renewing my passport into new name and before applying for the next visa renewal, if i didn't need to travel this wouldn't be an issue at all....

(and I have to renew my passport in advance as I now have less than 6 months on it, and cannot travel with less than six months on my passport to Europe as part of the 'no visa restrictions on NZers' if your passport is valid for 6 months or more from date of departure from the country).

Getting out to Italy will most likely be fine, but travelling back in, if I have my old passport with visa sticker in maiden name, Marriage certificate, and new passport in married name with me (i will be with my husband with his British passport too) - how likely is it that i will encounter problems?

The only thing I can find on UKVI is is the statement on the TOC topic page:
'You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead.' (but doesn't stipulate whether you have to if the passport is in a different name).

Then it says for names changes (which i would need to inform them of anyway) depending on visa type to call the Croydon office, which I did, explained my 'maiden name visa / married name passport / almost at visa renewal time / need to travel' situation, and they said I could TOC or wait... which wasn't very convincing at the time.

Question 2. Would that be a good enough explanation of events if there were issues at border security?

sorry for the long post, i would just really like to avoid having to apply for a BRP essentially twice in 3 months ... but need to travel with my mother and would also rather change my name now, than wait till even further down the process.

Many thanks for any advice or comment in advance,
Renee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.