Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a British Citizen and my husband is South African, we are currently living in SA and planning on moving to the UK together. We are busy putting together all the forms etc for the UK spousal visa - we have everything we need except for accommodation!

I do have family and a few friends in the UK but none of them have space for us to stay, even for a short time, and it's impossible to find accommodation several months before we even move - only planning to be in the UK in April 2014.

Has anybody got any advice on what we can do about this for our visa? Has anybody applied to move together - got some info for me?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi SamSecrets

We are in a similar situation to you. Our intention is, as soon as we get our visas, is to find places to rent via the Web and then my wife (my sponsor) will go the UK a few weeks before me and finalise things. We are fortunate to have the financial resources to stay in short term accommodation if necessary (hotels, b&b's) but not sure how we are going to explain all of this on our application. Hopefully we can get some suggestions!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi RobHG! Hopefully we will - cos it's very scary to think they won't give us a visa without accommodation! :)

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
If you have no relatives or friends to accommodate you (hotels and B&Bs won't be acceptable to Home Office even as a short-term solution), you have no choice but to get expensive short-term apartment (usually for tourists) or for the British partner to go first and look for a suitable rental property and use the details as confirmation. You don't have to sign the lease (rental contract) in advance, but the prospective housing must be realistic (within your budget) and appropriate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Joppa (You appear to be the font of all knowledge on this forum :D).

I understand the motivation behind this rule but it seems crazy that they would not look at an applicant's financial position and realise that suitable accommodation is not a problem. It's a catch 22, we can't commit to rented accommodation until we have visas and we can't get visas without committing to accommodation!

Oh well, time to look for long lost friends and relatives. :p

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
As I said, your accommodation can be prospective rather than signed and sealed, but it must be more than just a printout of online advertisement.
Asking for a bedroom from your friend and family is the easiest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks again Joppa. We will probably go the friends and family route. Is it required to have an independent property inspection report or is a description from the owner sufficient (eg. two bedrooms available for our use etc.)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Joppa!!! I'm gonna look at short-stay apartments and also see if any family can squeeze us in.

What do they require if Family does say we can live with them?
If they are renting - would they need a letter from their landlord?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Never move without planning in a new place. First do proper research about that place & find the places for apartment according to your budget. As you said your friends or family member live there, so ask them to guide you to search the place to live.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
About property inspection report - not always needed but useful.
You need a letter from the householder inviting you to stay, and if rented, consent from landlord.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses - I am very lucky to have found a family friend who will let us come live with her. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well done Sam! We have also found a relative who is willing to go through the hassle of getting a report from the local estate agent regarding the suitability of the accommodation. But, in reality, we intend to have rented a place by the time we leave SA so won't actually have to stay with them. I will make contact with estate agents for the area we intend to stay in before submitting our visa application and submit copies of the correspondence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello, we had the same problem when we were applying from Australia. So I booked a short term apartment through a company who had a generous cancellation policy. We provided a copy of our short term booking with an explanation. Once our visa's came through I cancelled the property and we found something when we arrived.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello, we had the same problem when we were applying from Australia. So I booked a short term apartment through a company who had a generous cancellation policy. We provided a copy of our short term booking with an explanation. Once our visa's came through I cancelled the property and we found something when we arrived.

Hope this helps,
Hi, just saw your post re short term accommodation, do you remember the name of the company you used, and the explanation you gave, and to whom you gave it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.