Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been answered already.

We are right at the beginning of accepting an offer for my husband to work in Aberdeen. Husband was born there.

He has UK passport. We have been married for 10 years and have a 4 year old son.

We are currently in Australia on permanent residence visas and can apply for citizenship right now. I am going to do this soon as I have a South African passport.

Son has Australian passport.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. My settlement visa will cost $1,300. Do we need to pay the same fee for our son's visa????

2. How long does it take on on average to receive after application?

3. Should we want to apply for a UK passport for my son should we do that from Australia prior to leaving? Is that straightforward? He was born in Oz and so has Oz passport.

Thanks in advance!
Sal

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi,

We are right at the beginning of accepting an offer for my husband to work in Aberdeen. Husband was born there.

He has UK passport. We have been married for 10 years and have a 4 year old son.

We are currently in Australia on permanent residence visas and can apply for citizenship right now. I am going to do this soon as I have a South African passport.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. My settlement visa will cost $1,300. Do we need to pay the same fee for our son's visa????

3. Should we want to apply for a UK passport for my son should we do that from Australia prior to leaving? Is that straightforward? He was born in Oz and so has Oz passport.

Thanks in advance!
Sal
MY QUESTIONS:

Unfortunately yes, you have to pay the same fee for your son and he will need to have his own seperate application....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Actually, no-because your son is British by descent, you can apply for the child's British passport (before making your spouse application, which btw must be done from Australia) and he will be entitled to enter the UK free of charge. No visa fee for the lad:)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi,

MY QUESTIONS:

As stated, since your husband (his father) is British citizen otherwise than by descent (born in UK), your son is automatically British. So just apply for his passport now. He is British by descent and can't transmit citizenship to his future children born outside UK, but once he has lived in UK with his parents for 3 years before turning 18, such children can be registered as British and obtain citizenship.
For your spouse visa, current timescale is around a month.

Answered. Quite straightforward. Get consular passport form C2.
Application forms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.