Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wonder if anybody has some insight into this matter.

We left the UK 31 Dec 2018 for France (for good) ... We filed our (2018) taxes (using an British accountant) in which I thought we clearly stated we are permanently leaving the UK for France (in fact we got a refund because we spent less than 2 years in the UK). Then last year we received a letter/form for a self assessment, which I ignored since we left the UK. Now I am getting late filing fees letters (today the second one); 3 weeks ago I sent them a letter (/w tracking, they received it) detailing why I do not think I need to file anything. Today's letter had more detail about our past taxes (all refunds) and a balance of zero due, but with a 100GBP fine balance. The website is not working for me, basically without a UK phone number or other UK related info, there is no way to create an account; strangely I had one, but that is no longer in existence, because I guess, we have left the UK). Calling the 0300 # is no use, no one ever answers the phone, and all they do is direct you to their website, which again is not working for me :)

So my inclination is to just ignore all this and let their administration catch up to le letter I sent. However, my son now lives in the UK and we would like to visit him and his girlfriend, when Covid possible. I am worried that I might get stopped at the border coming in/out of the UK because of this late filing issue.

What do you guys think I should do ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh,

I forgot to mention, the letters are coming to our French address, the address from where we filed in 2019.

P.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I don't think you'll have problems at the border, but don't ignore it.

I'm surprised you had problems with the phoneline, I've always found them very helpful.

Try 00 44 135 535 9022 and explain that you told them 2018-19 was your last year in the UK, and you're not going back.

No tax return arrived for 2019-20, but you weren't expecting one anyway.

They will press a button and the fine will disappear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clic Clac You are my hero !!

Indeed, called that number which was picked up almost immediately; nice fellow redirected me to another person, who picked up immediately and was already cued in to my problem. After taking my SI # and other info, she said "let me fix that for you" as you predicted .. she said it was just an automatic system that needed to be canceled .. 2 minutes later, problem solved .. Very Professional, I am impressed !!

Thanks for your help Clic Clac !!

Warm greetings,

P.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You're welcome. 😇

They've always been very helpful & knowledgeable.

Now you can sail into Blighty without worry...

Unless you owe any VAT.
Now that lot are a different story. 🤣

·
Registered
448 Posts
... The website is not working for me, basically without a UK phone number or other UK related info, there is no way to create an account; strangely I had one, but that is no longer in existence, ...
First, glad you got the problem sorted out. But the website is a nightmare; as you say without certain pieces of information that are not available, you can't log in, nor create a new account. My OH received an email asking her to log in to her account, but she couldn't. If I understand it right, the customer identification process has been contracted out and it doesn't cope with anything out of the ordinary, such as living overseas and not having a UK passport. The website has a series of links telling you what to do in this situation, but on about the 6th click you land back where you started. I reported this as a bug and got a sniffy reply saying that not being able to identify yourself is not a software error. Which rather missed the point.

We need to ask them to send a paper form to fill in, but as you say the phone number simply doesn't reply. I'll try Clic-clac's suggestion and see if that helps. (Thanks for sharing, CC!)

Reading various other sites critical of the online service, it looks as if the whole ID thing is going to be rejigged ( which might, or might not, help) but it's all in the context of heavy cuts in funding for HMRC.

I've always found HMRC very helpful, but I think they are overstretched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts