Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boyfriend who's Australian qualifies for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in UK, was wondering if anyone could help a couple things we need to check.

1) what documents should be sent apart from his birth certificate, passport, his parents' birth & marriage certificates? Is it a case of the more the better?
It doesn't say any bank statements/evidence of money to support himself is needed, but is that good to send?
Any examples of what people who got accepted have sent before?

2) Where should the app even be sent if applying from outside the UK? It doesn't...actually say on the gov site. It says apply online in Australia, but you also have to print off the app and send it along with the supporting documents. No idea where to.

3) One last thing kind of an extra I wanna double check, it says in the guidelines on documents need to be sent:
"Evidence of your permission to be in the country where you are applying, if you are not a national of that country. This could be a residence permit, ‘green card’ or valid visa showing your current immigration status."
-- this only means if he's not a native where he's applying FROM (Australia), right?

Basically just any guidance or experiences of this stuff would be awesome because we wanna get this right.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
On what basis does he have the right of abode? This dictates what documents to submit. Nowadays most people with ROA are British citizens, as those with ROA but without British citizenship derive it from their situation on 1.1. 1983, more than 32 years ago. Nobody born in 1983 or after can have ROA without being a British citizen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They can, he's applying under this section

"Applicant was born outside the United Kingdom and the Falkland Islands on or after 1st January 1983, to a parent born in the United Kingdom or the Falkland Islands or to a parent registered or naturalised in the United Kingdom prior to the applicant’s birth"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420987/Guide_ROA.pdf I got that from the table in here

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
But doesn't he qualify for British citizenship so therefore British Passport? So no need to apply for ROA but just get British passport, much cheaper and simpler, which gives him EU citizen rights in addition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the RoA would be quicker and easier, because he wouldn't need an interview, whereas you do for a British passport. He just wants this as a kind of in-between so he can get here, he's applying from outside the UK, then maybe get his passport once he's here. I read that for RoA you don't even need to visit a centre so it seemed the quicker option. If him getting a passport is quicker and easier, we'll do that, so I appreciate the advice, we just need to understand the processes. From what I understood, RoA = you send off documents, get the stamp back in the post. British passport = you go to an interview & longer processing time?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
They say it takes at least 8 weeks for a passport, though I've seen people getting it in about a month. He may not be called in for an interview, as it's at their discretion. Also it's a lot cheaper. £102.86 vs 648 AUD (£311). I don't have timeline for ROA certificate applied in Australia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok, thanks, I think we'll look into a passport then instead, how do we go about that? Are all the instructions on the gov site

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.