Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a UK resident, and have recently received a 9 month (potential extension to 12) contract offer in Milan, for a UK company (with a branch in Italy). The contract will start some time in mid November. I will have a contract directly with my headhunt agency (UK company).

I wonder if anyone could give me some advise or pointers:

1 - if I should work in Italy as a self employed person, or via a UK limited company (that I set up) to keep my tax to a minimum?

2 - it is very likely that I will breach the 183-day limit in 2016. Would I automatically become an italian tax resident? Would it be possible to remain as a non-italian tax resident if I keep my current apartment in the UK as a main residence while also renting in Italy, and show that my main interests are still outside of Italy?

3 - is the 28% social security contribution compulsory? could I purchase private health insurance instead, or continue to contribute to national insurance in the UK to avoid paying Italy's social security?

4 - regarding my obligations once I start working there, such as registration, apply for a Fiscal code, etc… what’s the complete list of legal things I must prepare for?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
2 - it is very likely that I will breach the 183-day limit in 2016. Would I automatically become an italian tax resident? Would it be possible to remain as a non-italian tax resident if I keep my current apartment in the UK as a main residence while also renting in Italy, and show that my main interests are still outside of Italy?
!
Tax residence would only relate to your world wide income. Employment income is almost always taxed in the country of the work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tax residence would only relate to your world wide income. Employment income is almost always taxed in the country of the work.
Does that mean there's nothing I can do to avoid entering the Italian tax system, and will have to get an Italian account...?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If you work in Italy you pay income tax in Italy.

There is likely a social security agreement between the UK and Italy. That might give you relief from those costs. But you need to check the agreement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts