Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. I need my UK prescription sent to Spain, they will be collected by family in the UK, can anyone suggest a way of doing this, e.g. DHL, Royal Mail etc., maybe you are already doing this or have in the past.

·
Administrator
36,530 Posts
Help please. I need my UK prescription sent to Spain, they will be collected by family in the UK, can anyone suggest a way of doing this, e.g. DHL, Royal Mail etc., maybe you are already doing this or have in the past.
I should imagine they can send it by post - & just hope that no-one opens it..... since I'm pretty certain that it's illegal.....

do you live in Spain?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My parents needed a UK prescription sent over here on the orders of their Spanish doctor so that he could see the medication prescribed in the UK for them. It was certainly not for use here as it simply connot be used here. They had it sent via the postal system with no issues.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Does he mean he wants his medicines sent from UK?? I thought he meant the bit of paper, ie the prescription. Sending drugs via the post is illegal and anyway if you live in Spain, as Xabi says, you need to be registered with a Spanish clinic and doctor. It is entirely possible that you could simply buy your drugs over the counter from a chemist...

·
Administrator
36,530 Posts
Does he mean he wants his medicines sent from UK?? I thought he meant the bit of paper, ie the prescription. Sending drugs via the post is illegal and anyway if you live in Spain, as Xabi says, you need to be registered with a Spanish clinic and doctor. It is entirely possible that you could simply buy your drugs over the counter from a chemist...
I assumed, maybe wrongly, that he meant the meds

a UK prescription wouldn't be much use here in any case

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, we live part of the year in Spain and part in the UK, being away from the UK for 4 months means that we need a repeat prescription while in Spain as the maximum period a UK prescription covers is 3 months.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
But is it the actual drugs you want to be sent over?

·
Administrator
36,530 Posts
Just to clarify, we live part of the year in Spain and part in the UK, being away from the UK for 4 months means that we need a repeat prescription while in Spain as the maximum period a UK prescription covers is 3 months.
Hope this helps.
that's because if you are in Spain for 3 months you're supposed to register as resident - in fact - you ARE resident whether or not you register...

doing all the paperwork for that seems daft though, if you're leaving a few weeks later

have you tried simply buying the meds over the counter?

or if you can't, then you'd need to see a private doctor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your replies, it's obvious that we cannot have medication shipped from the UK, we will need to resolve our problem another way.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hope this helps.
I was in a similar position, I had a word with my English doctor, he gave me a prescription for six months supply.

I also priced up the prescription at the Spanish chemist, I found that they were so cheap and that I could obtain them over the counter, no questions asked.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Here is a link of prohibited substances, that cannot be posted through Royal Mail to international addresses. It appears that you can post your prescribed drugs, only controlled drugs are prohibited, viz Cannabis Opium, etc,

Prohibited goods

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hope this helps.
This should have been discussed with the UK doctor before coming to Spain.surely you could have planned this better beforehand.

·
Administrator
36,530 Posts
Since thousands of people get prescription drugs over the internet from abroad, how can it be illegal to send them through the post? :confused:
not the sending them through the post bit, necessarily - although that would depend upon exactly what the meds were

the use of a UK prescription in the first place, when you're not a UK resident... that's the 'iffy' bit...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts