Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question...

My mother is planning on moving to oz with us after selling her house here in the uk.

I wonder if you could answer a question regarding uk pensions etc?

Can my mother still get her uk pension and disability payments or would she lose it all after the move?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If you do a search on the forum, pensions have been discussed before.

Or, when Karen logs on (another moderator) she'll be able to give you the info you need...she if a font of all knowledge on these topics!

Dolly

PS just out of curiousity, what visa is your mum using?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dolly, I think I will wait for Karen :)

My mum will prob use the family visa as my sister is already in oz and a citizen if that makes any sense :)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Oopa:

Please check if the visa you intend to bring your mother on still exists. For parents its usually a parent visa (2 yr+ processing time these days) unless she is 100% dependent on you (and it has to be 100% dependent well before your visa application).

She can certainly enter on visitor visas but PR visas are a different matter.

Thanks dolly, I think I will wait for Karen :)

My mum will prob use the family visa as my sister is already in oz and a citizen if that makes any sense :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Here are the obligations/restrictions of the parent visa: Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

The visa has a very, very long waiting period...it will take years I'm afraid.

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Thanks for being called the font of all knowledge on this sort of issue but I should stress I'm not an expert.

As I understand it your Mother will still receive her UK pension but it will be frozen at the time that she leaves so that it won't increase. If you do a search in your favourite search engine there is a campaign going on to change this. However with the relatively small population in Australia I can't see how the government can afford to increase pension payments when they didn't receive any income from the person in the first place. The UK government & Australian government would have to come to some arrangement.

I don't think that your Mother will receive disability benefit from the UK once she moves but you'd need to check this. Depending on the visa she may be eligible to have a benefit in Australia after several years and you can check out centrelink Centrelink - Giving you options for more details.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts