Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

I just have a couple of questions, as this forum has helped me so much in the past.

But 1st my history. I am a South African and my wife british. We met in SA and lived there for a while, but decided to move to the UK due to her career. I came over in Nov. 2010 on a tourist visa, 6 months later i returned to SA for 10 days, applied for my fiancé visa and settled in the uk, got married and then got my leave to remain in Aug. '11. Two years later, Aug. '13 i got my leave to remain indefinitely.

Now the first question. I can apply for citizenship after 3 years, but from when is that?

And 2, do i apply for permission from the SA consulate for dual citizenship before applying for uk citizenship? That sounds logical to me, only how long before can i contact them? The SA guys is not famous for their efficiency.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Hi everybody

I just have a couple of questions, as this forum has helped me so much in the past.

But first my history. I am a South African and my wife British. We met in SA and lived there for a while, but decided to move to the UK due to her career. I came over in Nov. 2010 on a tourist visa, 6 months later i returned to SA for 10 days, applied for my fiancé visa and settled in the uk, got married and then got my leave to remain in Aug. '11. Two years later, Aug. '13 i got my leave to remain indefinitely.

Now the first question. I can apply for citizenship after 3 years, but from when is that?
3 years from the date you entered on your fiancé visa.

And second, do i apply for permission from the SA consulate for dual citizenship before applying for uk citizenship? That sounds logical to me, only how long before can i contact them? The SA guys is not famous for their efficiency.
I don't know much about dual-national rules for South Africans. I have found on SA Dept of Home Affairs page:
Retention of Citizenship

If you want to formally obtain the citizenship of another country while retaining your South African citizenship, you can apply for retention of your South African citizenship by:
• completing Forms DHA-1664 and DHA-529
• paying the required application fee

Please note: the application must be made and approved before acquisition of the other citizenship, or you will lose your SA citizenship automatically on the date that you have acquired the foreign citizenship.

You can submit the forms to any office of the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa, or any South African embassy, mission or consulate overseas.
As you won't be eligible for naturalisation until next year, I suggest you do it now through the South Africa House, and only submit your naturalisation application once you obtain your permission to retain your SA citizenship.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.