Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired UK citizenship in 1997 and think I have lost my South African citizenship because I did not apply to the RSA HA for dual citizenship BEFORE aquiring UK citizenship.

The questions:
Do I have to do anything, as far as the UK HA is concerned, to retain my UK citizenship after resuming/reinstating my RSA citizenship? Advice from UK expats appreciated. It seems from the UK HA site that there are no special requirements as far as the UK is concerned.
Do I need to do anything special as far as my RSA citizenship is concerned(during application/resumption) to retain dual nationality? Any advice appreciated.

I don't want to go about this the wrong way again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1. The UK allows its citizens to hold dual nationality unlike for example Germany. So there is nothing you need to do. I hold UK/SA nationality.

2. My advice is, if you are visiting SA or moving permanently visit HA and apply as normal for an new ID and passport. On the form there is a section asking you if you already hold another passport/nationality. You will be asked if it is your intention to return to SA permanently, I said yes. I left the paperwork for my documents with them and received a new passport and ID book two months later. The point being, leave it up to them, under our SA constitution your citizenship cannot be removed or revoked. I did think though that a note on resumption of citizenship was added to my details on the HA information systems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts