Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right - life has been crazy to say the least. Hoping to get some answers!

Reading a recent thread on here, someone mentioned a requirement for savings. Please can someone answer some questions, here are the facts:

- Spouse visa until April 2019
- Have been here 5 years as of December 2018 on 2 spouse visas (back to back 2.5 years)

1. When can I apply for ILR? What is the earliest I can apply?

2. What is the income/savings requirement? I make ~£30k a year self-employed. My husband is currently unemployed but looking (possibly going to be self-employed). Does being self-employed affect anything? Does my salary alone cover the requirement?

3. As I'm self-employed, I do self-assessment taxes. Does this affect my application? Of course, I plan on being totally caught up but if there is anything outstanding, does that change things?

4. Are all of the requirements pretty much the same for the spouse visa (bills in both names, shared accommodation, marriage, etc.)? Or is there anything extra to supply (photos, additional bank statements, etc.)?

5. If I'm granted ILR on June 1, 2019 (for example), can I then instantly apply for citizenship on June 2nd? Or is there a wait?

6. My husband's best friends are travelling and he wanted to join them for a little while. Is there a requirement for him to be in the country for a certain amount of time before my application?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 28 days before 5-year anniversary of your UK arrival.
#2 Yes, your income alone suffices.
#3 Read carefully Chapter 9 of FM 1.7.
#4 Very similar to your previous FLR(M). You need to have passed Life in the UK test.
#5 Yes, you can if your husband is British.
#6 No.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joppa! To confirm (after reading FM 1.7 chapter 9):

1. My husband can travel as much as he wants outside of the country - yes? What if he wanted to do 6 months? If I visit, I know I need to keep to the time requirements listed.
2. My income from my self-employment is enough from the previous tax year. Do I need to do self-assessment early?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 Yes, within reason, and you should provide evidence that his travel is business-related and is essential.
#2 Yes, you should so that you will have the required tax documents to submit for ILR.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, again, Joppa. His travel wouldn't be business related or essential, simply that he wants to travel. Is there a restriction on that?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, your visa is for living with your husband permanently in UK. If his travel pattern appears as if he is spending more time abroad apart from you, without good reason, they may interpret it to mean you aren't meeting the purpose of your visa.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha. So - reasonable travel. He's got friends that are touring asia and he wanted to take advantage and go along. I'll tighten the lead...! ha!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Make sure he doesn't travel abroad without you for more than half the time you have been in UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.