Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

So, visa in hand, job offer confirmed and trying to get my life up and running in the UK.

Fortunately my new position is with a bank here in the UK, but even them I'm advised I can only get a "Basic Account" what we would call in the US a Savings Account.

Once I start work I can appeal for a normal checking account but because I don't have a 3 year history they won't give me anything beyond a basic account at the moment.

My question is this...while filling out the information for this basic account is states I should have a UK ID issued to Foreign Nationals which would be really helpful but I can't seem to find any information on how to get this.

Has anyone else heard of this, received one, or know anything about it?

Also what would the process be to get a UK Drivers license?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi there, firstly I take it you have the relevant visa for UK?

When my son opened a basic bank account he supplied them with his passport and proof of address. Which bank is it with? Does your passport with visa stamped in it not suffice?

As the the driving license, yours will be valid up to one year and you will then have to resit the test...

·
Registered
533 Posts
As stated you need your passport with visa to open a bank account and proof of address.

As also mentioned you can use your license up to the first 12 months from when you entered. After 185 days about 6 months you can apply for a provisional and then sit your theory test then practical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Getting the bank account isn't the issue, I was just wondering about the UK ID card.

It seems the best idea so I don't have to take my Passport everywhere but I can't seem to get any reasonable data on it other than it exists. But no info on how to apply or where.

I'll begin studying for the Uk drivers exam, the theory test will take me 6 months to prepare for! :)

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
What is now called biometric residence permit used to be known as personal ID card (last government wanted to roll it out to British citizens as we'll but the idea was promptly killed by the incoming coalition government). You can't get your BRP until you come to renew your leave after 2.5 years. So your endorsed passport is the only means of identifying your immigration status here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is now called biometric residence permit used to be known as personal ID card (last government wanted to roll it out to British citizens as we'll but the idea was promptly killed by the incoming coalition government). You can't get your BRP until you come to renew your leave after 2.5 years. So your endorsed passport is the only means of identifying your immigration status here.
WOW! What a pain, but thanks for that. :)

Mell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.