Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

Me and my husband got married last June. He is a UK citizen and I'm a American. We were always planing to get him a green card once we married as his Vias was up for renewal.

However he lost his Job and we got into some debt that we had to clear off first, meaning that a green card was simple too expenive and would have to wait. As it turns out we are now moving to the uk to be with his family and I,m the one who is getting a visa.

He has been in the US without proper paperwork since June 2011. I compleaty get that this is wrong but with little money going around these days, $4,000 green cards just don't happen right away. When we leave in a couple of months, will he be able to come back? Or is he looking at a ten year ban?

Any info or advice would help!

:(

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Your personal financial situation is unfortunately of no concern to US immigration. I am not issuing legal advise here but he has been out of status since 06/2011 and he plans to stay here until you "leave in a couple of months" but may want to return to the US?

You may be able to punch AOS through. But what for? Your plans do not include the requirements of a Green Card holder. He will likely look at a ban. But you will not know until he tries to enter the US or files for a visa.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your personal financial situation is unfortunately of no concern to US immigration. I am not issuing legal advise here but he has been out of status since 06/2011 and he plans to stay here until you "leave in a couple of months" but may want to return to the US?
I understand this and in no way I'm i trying to tell a sob story, just telling it how it is.

We are leaving in July for the UK. However we may have to come back to the US for family resons in the near future. Just wonding what may happen once he trys to come back in.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

I understand this and in no way I'm i trying to tell a sob story, just telling it how it is.

We are leaving in July for the UK. However we may have to come back to the US for family resons in the near future. Just wonding what may happen once he trys to come back in.
I did not imply you were telling a sob story just clarifying that it has no implication.

He is very likely being refused entry. So far he went over 180 days but is under one year. B2 may still be an option but he will cross the one year mark before he leaves according to your plans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh by no means did I think that, just wanted to tell my story to the forum. I no US imagration wouldn't care. :(

What is a B2?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Oh by no means did I think that, just wanted to tell my story to the forum. I no US imagration wouldn't care. :(

What is a B2?
With overstay he will no longer be able to travel by ESTA using VWP (visa waiver program). Thus he will need to apply for a vis ato enter the US. Check B2 out on travel.state.gov. It walks you through the complete process.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, checking it out now.

Will it deffinatly be a ban if its over a year?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks for the advice, checking it out now.

Will it deffinatly be a ban if its over a year?
The rule of thumb is: Under a year but over 180 days its usually a three year ban; over a year you are looking at a 10 year ban.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you're thinking of staying and doing AOS before you leave the country, an overstay is often forgiven if you're a spouse.
Once you leave, you'll most likely incur a ban.
If at all possible, I'd try for AOS before you leave.
But.... if you're planning on going to the UK, a green-card isn't the issue anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts