Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks,

My fiancé and I have been together for over two years, he's visited Northern Ireland twice, and I've visited him once (heading over again in November). He's from Alabama. We met over two years ago online, and last month while he was here visiting, he proposed.

The long term plan is that we get married, obviously, in the States. He has a daughter and is divorced, and I intend to move there and begin our life together once we get married.

As we have just got engaged, we haven't started applying for visas or anything yet and we don't intend to until after I've been over again at the end of this year. I was just wondering what to expect, and how long do the processes take? I'm also a little concerned about finances. Currently I am a care assistant in Northern Ireland, it's a pretty minimum wage job but I love it and I would like to continue in this field of work when I move. He's a locksmith for his father's self employed business but he doesn't make a lot of money at all, and he intends now while we are engaged to find a stable job with a regular income.

Will our financial situations come against us? Will I be able to work once we get married? I understand I might not be able to find a job straight away, but obviously I would like to work if I'm going to be living there.

Sorry for the long ramble, I hope someone out there can offer some advice as I am pretty new to all this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
For a fiancee visa
K1 Fiance Visa Process Flowchart and Timeline

US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently $19912 for a 2 person household

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
A year?! I didn't think it would be that long! :(
The timescales have been moving out over the years. You should plan on anything from 9 to 12 months of visa processing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in England and my American boyfriend who I met on holiday in Jamaica Jan 2014, proposed to me when here on a visit last August. We are getting married in England in September but he had to apply for a marriage visa in order to come here and do that, it was quite a stressful process and he had to get biometric fingerprints done, prove he would be returning home, show evidence of bills etc. he came in May to register to get married. This is when they might look into whether you are a sham marriage or not. We 'passed' that. After our honeymoon he will return to Iowa once again and we will begin the process of getting my spouse visa. He needs to earn around $21,000 to sponsor me but the good thing about the U.S. is, if he doesn't earn enough you can have a joint sponsor, like a family member. It all looks very stressful again and I've heard it could take 8 -12 months until we can be together. The good thing about this visa is you get a green card automatically. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts