Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching and planning on doing the fiancee visa as I intend to marry and settle in the UK but have noticed many people doing a US wedding and then going for the spouse visa in the UK to avoid the double visa fees. We have an expensive planned wedding already set for Sept 8th and I am gathering documents and filling out at online application.

I haven't found an answer to this, but what is preventing me from coming over on a fiancee visa, getting married in the UK, and soon afterwards returning to the US to apply for the spouse visa? And if I can do this, how long will it take until I can return to the UK and look for work?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I have been researching and planning on doing the fiancee visa as I intend to marry and settle in the UK but have noticed many people doing a US wedding and then going for the spouse visa in the UK to avoid the double visa fees. We have an expensive planned wedding already set for Sept 8th and I am gathering documents and filling out at online application.

I haven't found an answer to this, but what is preventing me from coming over on a fiancee visa, getting married in the UK, and soon afterwards returning to the US to apply for the spouse visa? And if I can do this, how long will it take until I can return to the UK and look for work?
What you can do instead is to obtain a marriage visitor visa for $150, get married in UK and then return to the States and apply for your spouse settlement visa. Currently the total turnaround time for your visa is around 10 days so pretty quick. You can look for work in UK straight after arrival. Whether this will save any money over getting fiancée visa and further leave to remain (FLR) application in UK is open to question - you have to add the cost of another return flight if you want to apply for your spouse visa in US. FLR(M) costs £810 by same-day premium service (recommended). So for most people there isn't much in it. It will generally be cheaper to wed in the States and apply for spouse visa, but your plans are different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you can do instead is to obtain a marriage visitor visa for $150, get married in UK and then return to the States and apply for your spouse settlement visa. Currently the total turnaround time for your visa is around 10 days so pretty quick. You can look for work in UK straight after arrival. Whether this will save any money over getting fiancée visa and further leave to remain (FLR) application in UK is open to question - you have to add the cost of another return flight if you want to apply for your spouse visa in US. FLR(M) costs £810 by same-day premium service (recommended). So for most people there isn't much in it. It will generally be cheaper to wed in the States and apply for spouse visa, but your plans are different.
Ahh... very good points indeed. I think I have been looking at forums too long today and my brain is melting. How could i forget the extra costs of the return flight. I still think it could save a few hundred USD but not sure if it is worth the inconvenience of flying back.

Thanks much for the response, just one last clarification on something I seem to be confused on: When to apply for the visa?

The wedding is set for Sept 8th and I am not planning on arriving in the UK until late August. I understand that I can post-date for up to three months from my application completion date and that we must be married within 6 months. So if I completed today then I could post date to May 27 2012, and have until November 27th for the wedding? Is this correct?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Ahh... very good points indeed. I think I have been looking at forums too long today and my brain is melting. How could i forget the extra costs of the return flight. I still think it could save a few hundred USD but not sure if it is worth the inconvenience of flying back.

Thanks much for the response, just one last clarification on something I seem to be confused on: When to apply for the visa?

The wedding is set for Sept 8th and I am not planning on arriving in the UK until late August. I understand that I can post-date for up to three months from my application completion date and that we must be married within 6 months. So if I completed today then I could post date to May 27 2012, and have until November 27th for the wedding? Is this correct?
Is the wedding a civil, non-religious ceremony? Then you must give notice at the register office, which will take around 3 weeks to complete and it can only be done in person by the couple attending together, so you need to be in UK earlier. If it's church wedding and banns or licence is being obtained, you can arrive later but much depends on personal circumstances, whether it's in the Church of England etc.

You have until 27th November to arrive in UK, give notice (where necessary), get wed and apply for further leave to remain (FLR).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the wedding a civil, non-religious ceremony? Then you must give notice at the register office, which will take around 3 weeks to complete and it can only be done in person by the couple attending together, so you need to be in UK earlier. If it's church wedding and banns or licence is being obtained, you can arrive later but much depends on personal circumstances, whether it's in the Church of England etc.

You have until 27th November to arrive in UK, give notice (where necessary), get wed and apply for further leave to remain (FLR).
It is a church wedding and we booked the date about 5 or 6 months ago and have letters from the parish. Beside being refused my biggest fear is the visa taking too long to process and not getting to make the wedding in time. The wedding planning has been going on for over a year in advance with many things booked making it extremely costly to move. I know most fiancee visas are processed relatively quickly but am worried mine will take awhile as I have recently left medical school and am in the process of returning to the workforce and therefore nervous about the funds/maintenance requirements slowing things down. My fiancee is a student and works part time making little money at the moment.

Am I safe to assume this needs to get done ASAP?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you apply for a fiancee visa feom the USA and its successful , fly to the UK and get married , you cant apply from inside the UK for your spousal visa?
No, you can have your status switched I think for 550 or 800ish expedited in the UK if you get the fiancee/settlement visa. If you get the fiancee visitor visa then you would have to apply for the spouse visa from the US. There are two different fiancee visas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes, i know you can't with the marriage visitor visa but I thought you could with the fiancee visa. Just seeing alot of posts where ppl are saying they have to fly back to the US to apply for spousal visa, after they have the fiancee visa.

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
yes, i know you can't with the marriage visitor visa but I thought you could with the fiancee visa. Just seeing alot of posts where ppl are saying they have to fly back to the US to apply for spousal visa, after they have the fiancee visa.
You are misunderstanding or misreading. If you come to the UK on a fiance visa you apply for FLR in the UK after you are married. You do not have to fly back to the US to apply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joppa,
Would the same apply if you came over on a vwp,and get engaged while here(UK)? Could we get married,then I return to the US for a settllement visa????I am so confused.Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Joppa,
Would the same apply if you came over on a vwp,and get engaged while here(UK)? Could we get married,then I return to the US for a settllement visa????I am so confused.Thanks!
No. You cannot come to the UK on visitor visa with the intention of getting married. You must obtain marriage visit visa in order to come to the UK to marry and then return to the US to apply for a spouse visa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.