Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If their a lawyer who can answer the question on the UK driving license. It seems you have to carry a 10 year UK unless you are here more than 182 days a year continuously, but what happens if you go back to the UK a more than 4 times a year?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Title says passport , Driving licence in thread ,182 days mentioned which can only apply to tax residency / wtf has returning to the UK to do with it ?
Ask a question that is understandable would help for a start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrong title but question is about UK driving licenses in Spain, I was hoping to get an answer from a lawyer but got the three wise guys instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe where you come from slack replies are the norm! A polite response would be welcome, just hope you can take your blinkers off.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If their a lawyer who can answer the question on the UK driving license. It seems you have to carry a 10 year UK unless you are here more than 182 days a year continuously, but what happens if you go back to the UK a more than 4 times a year?
Not a lawyer just one of those idiots who didn't understand your post OR the title in relation to the post.

Anyway, I don't understand your concern about 10 year licences and 182 days a year.

The issue is that the paper licences are being (or have been) withdrawn. As a consequence, any one resident in Spain who has one, should now have changed it for a Spanish licence.

The 182 days (not necessarily continuous) is a red herring as this is all to do with tax residency. 90 days is the real issue.

It seems to me that you are VERY confused - what is your real concern/question?

If in doubt, get a Spanish licence and then you don't have any issues!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been informed that driving licences cannot be unlimited in Spain any more if you are a resident. My issue was that if a person was not a permanent stay in Spain or under 182 days ( i.e individuals changed country a lot) would this rule may still apply. I realise the first question was confusing but to see a moderator simply just ask the questioner to restate his question again is disappointing. The website is a little unclear and I am new, I would expect this attitude from a kids forum, but would expect better from a grown up.

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
I have been informed that driving licences cannot be unlimited in Spain any more if you are a resident. My issue was that if a person was not a permanent stay in Spain or under 182 days ( i.e individuals changed country a lot) would this rule may still apply. I realise the first question was confusing but to see a moderator simply just ask the questioner to restate his question again is disappointing. The website is a little unclear and I am new, I would expect this attitude from a kids forum, but would expect better from a grown up.
afaik there are no lawyers giving advice, free or otherwise, on this forum

& it seems that a kind moderator has changed the thread title for you :)

this should explain the current situation for you :DO I HAVE TO EXCHANGE / RENEW MY EU DRIVING LICENCE?

from the Driving in Spain section of our http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html
http://learn-aprender.com/groups/do-i-have-to-exchange-my-eu-driving-licence/

·
Banned
97 Posts
afaik there are no lawyers giving advice, free or otherwise, on this forum

& it seems that a kind moderator has changed the thread title for you :)

this should explain the current situation for you :DO I HAVE TO EXCHANGE / RENEW MY EU DRIVING LICENCE?

from the Driving in Spain section of our http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html
http://learn-aprender.com/groups/do-i-have-to-exchange-my-eu-driving-licence/
tsk,,,, there is always one who goes and spoils it for the rest of us,,,i was waiting for fisty cuffs, sat back with a cold 'un' in my mitt the works, bah!!!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The 90-day and 182-day rules are red herrings as far as driving licences are concerned. If you have a valid licence issued in another EU country and it is a EU-valid licence (it has the ring of stars with EU in centre) with a photo, you are permitted to continue using it during its period of validity. You can usually exchange it for a Spanish one if you are here long-term (most places will accept it as a form of ID - saves carrying your passport around or losing it)

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
The 90-day and 182-day rules are red herrings as far as driving licences are concerned. If you have a valid licence issued in another EU country and it is a EU-valid licence (it has the ring of stars with EU in centre) with a photo, you are permitted to continue using it during its period of validity. You can usually exchange it for a Spanish one if you are here long-term (most places will accept it as a form of ID - saves carrying your passport around or losing it)
during its period of validity according to the DGT - which might not be the same as its period of validity in the country of issue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts