Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I'm gonna try to make this as painless as possible but i have a whole long list of questions regarding the defacto visa for the UK.

So, i've been with my partner now for 2 and a half years. My partner is French/Spanish (EU nationality) working full time in the UK. I am from Malaysia (Non-EU nationality) and i have been in Switzerland (holding a Swiss Residence Permit) for the past 2 years completing my education degree and i have recently completed my studies.

Throughout the years while we were in two different countries, we visited each other once a month regularly throughout my 2 year degree programme. So, he would fly to Switzerland and i would fly to the UK to see each other. I've read a lot about the defacto visa which i was planning to apply, the requirements are quite harsh. So, my questions would be:

1. How can i show 'proof' of some sort as we cannot open joint bank accounts (some kind of joint documentation) of some sort as we have been living in two different countries although we stayed with each other for each visitation? Although i am currently now in the UK staying with my partner with a joint rental agreement that recently began when i finished my degree. We also have a joint gym membership that has just started as well. I still cannot open a joint bank account though as i don't permanently live in the UK yet. But neither of these could prove that we have already live for some time apart in the 2 years in different countries. We did meet back in Malaysia where he stayed with me while he was there, and we stay with his parents when we were in France/Spain before he started his job in the UK and before i started my degree in Switzerland. Besides, his job transfered him to Dublin a few months back before transfering him back to the UK to work again. This section is pretty much the most confusing one of all.

2. It is also required that we have the intention of living together in the UK. I was wondering if the rental agreement with the landlord would be sufficient enough for this requirement?

3. Are photographic proof required as part of the documentation of our relationship together? As far as i have read, they require a lot of paperwork documentation instead of photographic proof. Eg: Christmas day we spent together, Easter, so on and so fourth.

Thank you so much. I am pretty much concerned with point no.1 as it requires the most documentation. I would appreciate as much information as possible.

Cheers,
DH

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Briefly, two years of cohabitation is de rigueur for both unmarried partnership and EEA family permit under EU rules (which you should explore because of his EU nationality and exercising treaty rights in UK). As you haven't, your application is almost certain to be turned down. Marriage is one solution, or if you are a same-sex couple, civil partnership.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.