Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a house back in the UK. My wife has returned there to live by herself, while I am still an Non-Resident but the Council are charging me the full amount. I was under the impression that I was entitled to 25% discount if there was only one person living there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have just bought a house back in the UK. My wife has returned there to live by herself, while I am still an Non-Resident but the Council are charging me the full amount. I was under the impression that I was entitled to 25% discount if there was only one person living there.
had the same issue last year, you only get the discount if you can prove the house is empty and not lived in/using the local services

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
In UK there is definitely a discount on council tax for single occupancy.
Councils make it difficult to claim the single occupancy as people obviously abuse the system. It would be hard to claim it if you are both on the electoral roll - but easier if only your wife was on the electoral roll and you could prove that you live overseas by providing them copies of your Emirates ID, driving licence etc.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
I a currently having the same issue too, I have had to send a copy of my contract showing that I am based in Dubai and a copy of my Ejari for the villa because the local council have denied my wifes request for the reduction based on the fact that I could come back.......Go figure??

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same trouble with Manchester council. Our house is empty but furnished (one of their tricks to "prove" its a potential home). They offered us zero discount eventhough its been empty for a year and everything is turned off and proff has been delivered.... its a con and one of the reasons I came out here in the first place. You've got to suck it up and bank as much as you can just to hack them off :)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I had the same trouble with Manchester council. Our house is empty but furnished (one of their tricks to "prove" its a potential home). They offered us zero discount eventhough its been empty for a year and everything is turned off and proff has been delivered.... its a con and one of the reasons I came out here in the first place. You've got to suck it up and bank as much as you can just to hack them off :)
Empty and furnished in Manchester? Surprised it's not a squat by now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Empty and furnished in Manchester? Surprised it's not a squat by now.
Yeh luckily, ive got electric fences round the place and neighbours who check it daily.

Sadly, I could effectively let a friend live there rent free and then be entitled to a 25% discount... its a load of nonsense really!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's simple, as long as you have contacted them saying that only 1 person lives there then just don't pay them, when they chase explain again that only 1 person lives there and ask them to charge appropriately. You do need to be sure that you are not visiting the house too often (your council will have guidelines).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts