Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know? We have lived in the US for 15 years, but both kids were born in Scotland and have dual citizenship. My daughter wants to go to St. Andrews University, and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to pay the UK fees instead of paying as a US student.
Someone told us that if we sign over guardianship to a relative living in Scotland she could apply as a UK citizen as her "guardian" would have a permanent address and have been paying taxes in the UK for 3 years.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Does anyone know? We have lived in the US for 15 years, but both kids were born in Scotland and have dual citizenship. My daughter wants to go to St. Andrews University, and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to pay the UK fees instead of paying as a US student.
Someone told us that if we sign over guardianship to a relative living in Scotland she could apply as a UK citizen as her "guardian" would have a permanent address and have been paying taxes in the UK for 3 years.
Have you contacted the school?

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
I have not heard of this guardianship scheme with regard University fees, apart from if the prospective student is under 18 at time of going to the school and the "Guardian" is an organisation that "looks after" the young adult while they are in the UK.

With regard the fees, it is my understanding that the student qualifies for UK fees when they are resident or settled in the UK - I take this to mean they have lived there for the given requisite time, prior to attending the school.

I don't think that just moving to the UK and living with someone else who has been resident qualifies for "home' fees - if that was the case wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I took a look at the following site:

Paying home fees or overseas fees

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nah you need to live in the UK for 3 years before you can qualify for local fees. Only a 3 thousand pound difference per year though now between locals and internationals.
This! We looked into this last summer before we moved over the to US just incase our children wanted to move back to the UK for Uni...although the difference is greater depending on which course it is...we found it ranged from £13000-£25000 for international student fees for the local Uni, then of course living expenses on top.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts