Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend, a US Citizen, just asked me if a work or student visa counts as time towards becoming a UK Citizen. I would assume so, but being generally clueless on the sort of stuff, I thought it was a better idea to ask. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Yes it does. But before becoming eligible for naturalisation, you have to attain settled status (indefinite leave to remain), and only certain kinds of visa or leave will count towards it. Study doesn't, and only some points-based system work visas do. Most kinds of Tier 2 intra-company transfer don't, for example. Nowadays the first requirement - the resident status that counts towards naturalisation is largely academic as it takes normally 5 years to attain settlement, and resident qualification for naturalisation is 3-5 years.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Mainly family route such as spouse, partner etc, and skilled work such as Tier 1 and Tier 2 General.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Non-committed relationship like boy/girlfriend doesn't. Unmarried partnership may under certain conditions (e.g. cohabitation for 2+ years).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.