Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an Australian citizen, and I have been living in the UK for nearly 5 years on a 5 year Ancestry visa.

My visa started on 1 Dec 2007 and I entered the UK on 12 Dec 2007.

I'm trying to work out how to get British Citizenship. It looks like I need to make sure they receive my application on or after 12 Dec 2012 (this year). So this means that I'll need some other kind of visa from the 1 Dec (when my Ancestry visa expires), until my Citizenship comes through.

Will I have to apply for Indefinite leave to remain to cover this time, or is there some other way of doing it? I'm keen to avoid the £991 fee if possible!

My UK born boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years (and can prove it if need be) but I don't think this helps.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!
Clara

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Hi,

I'm an Australian citizen, and I have been living in the UK for nearly 5 years on a 5 year Ancestry visa.

My visa started on 1 Dec 2007 and I entered the UK on 12 Dec 2007.

I'm trying to work out how to get British Citizenship. It looks like I need to make sure they receive my application on or after 12 Dec 2012 (this year). So this means that I'll need some other kind of visa from the 1 Dec (when my Ancestry visa expires), until my Citizenship comes through.

Will I have to apply for Indefinite leave to remain to cover this time, or is there some other way of doing it? I'm keen to avoid the £991 fee if possible!

My UK born boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years (and can prove it if need be) but I don't think this helps.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!
Clara
First comes indefinite leave to remain and THEN comes citizenship. You must have indefinite leave to remain for 1 year before you can apply for citizenship. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain 28 days before your visa expires, no sooner. While indefinite leave to be remain is being processed, you are covered by your current visa.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
First comes indefinite leave to remain and THEN comes citizenship. You must have indefinite leave to remain for 1 year before you can apply for citizenship. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain 28 days before your visa expires, no sooner. While indefinite leave to be remain is being processed, you are covered by your current visa.
You can apply for ILR 28 days before you complete your 5 years in UK, so 4 weeks before 12th December 2012 or Wednesday 14th November 2012. I would try to get same-day premium service appointment on 14th Nov or soon after. As stated, your leave continues until you gain ILR, and then after a year on ILR you can finally apply for naturalisation, unless you marry your British boyfriend, then as soon as you get ILR.

As nyclon says, you can't avoid paying for ILR before you are eligible for naturalisation. Get your Life in the UK test passed now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and then after a year on ILR you can finally apply for naturalisation
Thanks for the advice both, but I'm a bit confused. There's no mention of having to be on ILR for a year before applying for citizenship on the home office website (sorry, not allowed to post the link yet)

It seems to suggest that I just have to have been here for 5 years. Have the rules changed?

cheers
clara

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks for the advice both, but I'm a bit confused. There's no mention of having to be on ILR for a year before applying for citizenship on the home office website (sorry, not allowed to post the link yet)

It seems to suggest that I just have to have been here for 5 years. Have the rules changed?

cheers
clara
See here: UK Border Agency | Standard requirements for naturalisation

Quote: "You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you apply for naturalisation. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period."

"free from immigration time restrictions" = ILR

teuchter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.