Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We are coming up to retirement age (65 and 59) and are looking to move to Spain. We currently live in Johannesburg but fancy a change to a slower pace of life.

We had a week in Alicante last month and had a good look around and particularly liked the area around El Campello for many reasons. I'll have a part UK pension and other investments, my wife will have a small UK pension and investments, so we won't need to work. Haven't yet got my pension on stream, once I have I can follow up the EHIC.

Hope is to buy a small house or apartment in the area, there seems plenty of choice, possibly already furnished to save the cost of shipping furniture from Jhb. Might as well down size and move to Spain at the same time.

I'm hoping that although I haven't lived in UK for 30+ years that I can get the EHIC from UK, any thoughts on that? Even if not, research suggests that private health care is cheaper in Spain than in South Africa.

It's not something we need to rush so we are doing plenty of research as well as giving time for more visits plus making a start on learning Spanish

We'll probably have a dog to bring with us, we don't have a UK pet passport so will quarantine be involved?

Regards
Geoff Pethick

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
Hi all

We are coming up to retirement age (65 and 59) and are looking to move to Spain. We currently live in Johannesburg but fancy a change to a slower pace of life.

We had a week in Alicante last month and had a good look around and particularly liked the area around El Campello for many reasons. I'll have a part UK pension and other investments, my wife will have a small UK pension and investments, so we won't need to work. Haven't yet got my pension on stream, once I have I can follow up the EHIC.

Hope is to buy a small house or apartment in the area, there seems plenty of choice, possibly already furnished to save the cost of shipping furniture from Jhb. Might as well down size and move to Spain at the same time.

I'm hoping that although I haven't lived in UK for 30+ years that I can get the EHIC from UK, any thoughts on that? Even if not, research suggests that private health care is cheaper in Spain than in South Africa.

It's not something we need to rush so we are doing plenty of research as well as giving time for more visits plus making a start on learning Spanish

We'll probably have a dog to bring with us, we don't have a UK pet passport so will quarantine be involved?

Regards
Geoff Pethick

You won't be able to get an EHIC from the UK, and you wouldn't be able to use it here anyway, if you're living here

If you have a state pension from the UK, you might get an S1 which would qualify you for health care, and a special EHIC for use outside Spain

1 - 2 of 2 Posts