Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this site and hoping someone else will be able to help / advise me.
I am a UK citizen with permanent residence status in Canada, been living in Vancouver, Canada for the past 4 years. My Fiancee is a Canadian citizen.

We are wanting to get married in the UK in 2016 as some of my family would not be able to make the flight to Vancouver.

We have a house / mortgage and good jobs in Canada and have no intention of staying in UK after the wedding. It seems like my fiance would still need to get a marriage visa for the UK?- correct me if i'm wrong.

Whats very confusing to us is the process of having to register our intent to marry in person at the registry office in UK, 28 days before we want to have the wedding. Is this correct? I wondered if, because i am a permanent resident of Canada, we would both do this process in Canada instead? On the government of Canada website under marriages overseas it states:
"Most countries require a valid Canadian passport and a certificate issued by your province or territory stating that there are no legal impediments to your marriage. You should obtain the certificate before you leave Canada."

If we did this in canada does anyone know if we would still have to wait 28 days in UK?
Also on the UK website it mentions that we both have to live in the area for 7 days before we can register our intent to marry. Both myself and my fiancee were in UK (in the area we want to marry) a couple of years ago for 3 weeks- would that count as the 7 days living in the area?

Any Advise anyone can give would be much appreciated.
Emma

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I've moved this to the UK branch for you so that the people there can better help you.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
Your previous visit to the UK does not count for the requirement to be present in the UK for 7 days prior to giving notice. For one thing, you can't give notice without a proper visa so not a tourist visa.

Your fiancée will have to apply for a marriage visit visa. You'll both have to be in the UK for 7 days before you can give notice and the notice period is 28 days.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

Marriage visit visa info:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sometimes, what you would think should be simple, becomes very complicated.

My question would be how flexible are you in your thinking? Here is what I would suggest. You can easily get married in a civil ceremony in Canada. You are both legal residents etc. and will have no problem.

Then, fly to England and RENEW your vows. Renewing your vows has no legal implications whatsoever and therefore no requirements you have to meet. You can both go as simple tourists, have a ceremony with a priest/minister in a church and a reception afterwards.

If it is a big wedding you want, then you can have a big renewal of vows with everyone there just as if it were the actual wedding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.