Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 22 year old male UK citizen who has applied to Barry University in Miami. After recently speaking to an advisor my application acceptance sounds promising. My girlfriend attends the same college (thus my reason for choosing Barry) and I have visited the campus already.

I know that I cannot take a UK student loan over to use in US education so I will be using my uncle who has lived in Utah for over 20 years as a co-signer on a US Bank student loan. He still holds a green card as he chose not to become an american citizen but does not believe this to be a problem as co-signer on the loan.

Now, my tuition fees are going to be $39,000 a year (fees this high were expected being an international student, i know some schools charge even more than this).
I need to know if there are any scholarships available for international students. The college itself will give me between $4000 and $9000 but I will not get an exact number until I'm accepted. I would just like to be prepared so if anyone could give me any information regarding scholarships or provide me with any links that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Admissions and financial aid should be able to answer your question concerning scholarships/grants.
What degree do you plan to pursue?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
a problem nsy occur when you are interviewed bt the consulate they will need to see all
fiances are in order ..bank loan to a an alien student I am surprised at
good luck

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
If the loan has been approved and the funds are available in the applicants name that is generally no issue. My concern is tuition/fees plus cost of living for how many years? All four? The first year has to be in liquid funds with the source for the remainder of the studies.

I do not know if international students qualify for traditional student loans. Assuming they do not - the relative has to collateralize a standard bank loan with traditional repayment which means someone has to make the payments starting 30 days after receipt of funds.

But we are OT here:>)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts