Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be relocating to Barcelona to start a new job. I am a British citizen, but my wife and children are US citizens.

My understanding is that as American citizens they do not require a Residence Visa to Reunite a Family Member with a Citizen of Spain or Other EU Country in order to enter Spain.

I am taking this information from the Visa information and Requirements page of the Consulate of Spain in Washington website.

American citizens and those of nationalities that do not require visa according to the above-mentioned list (Anejo 1 ICC) do not require a residence visa and must apply for their residence card once they arrive in Spain. They will need to have the marriage properly registered.
They are planning to arrive in Spain on July 1 but I will not be arriving until July 15.

If this information is correct, my question is, will they be able to enter Spain before me? I will provide them with copies of our marriage certificate, my passport, employment letter, and flight booking.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
I will soon be relocating to Barcelona to start a new job. I am a British citizen, but my wife and children are US citizens.

My understanding is that as American citizens they do not require a Residence Visa to Reunite a Family Member with a Citizen of Spain or Other EU Country in order to enter Spain.

I am taking this information from the Visa information and Requirements page of the Consulate of Spain in Washington website.

They are planning to arrive in Spain on July 1 but I will not be arriving until July 15.

If this information is correct, my question is, will they be able to enter Spain before me? I will provide them with copies of our marriage certificate, my passport, employment letter, and flight booking.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
:welcome:
They can come as visitors under Schengen with or without you.

To be honest, it's probably better if you DON'T give them all that stuff, & that they just enter as tourists - all that info could just confuse things if they were asked & give the border control reason to think they were at risk of overstaying illegally.

It's an anomoly that they can enter as tourists quite legitimately - & then once you have arrived & registered as resident then they can apply for residency as your family - but a 'jobsworth' at the border might just take issue with it.

Best that they simply arrive as tourists :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a really good suggestion. However, they will only have a one-way ticket. Do you think this would be an issue if they don't have a return ticket to leave Spain?

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
That's a really good suggestion. However, they will only have a one-way ticket. Do you think this would be an issue if they don't have a return ticket to leave Spain?
Yes, almost certainly that will be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts