Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm here in the UK with my wife and two young children (6 & 1). I have a decent university job here, but we are having financial trouble due to high/crazy childcare costs. I want to apply for Child Tax Credits and I have the correct form. We have the insidious "No Eligible for Public Funds" on our Tier II Visas, but I believe we are still eligible for Tax Credits, if not Child Benefits.

My question is about claiming USA income on the Tax Credit claim form. I have a small stream on US income that is more than wiped out state-side long before it makes it to the UK by student loan payments. The income stream will also run out in a few months. Should I claim US income on my UK Tax Forms? Or is there a serious rick of being audited/fined, etc.?

Any other advice on our general situation would also be welcome.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi,

I'm here in the UK with my wife and two young children (6 & 1). I have a decent university job here, but we are having financial trouble due to high/crazy childcare costs. I want to apply for Child Tax Credits and I have the correct form. We have the insidious "No Eligible for Public Funds" on our Tier II Visas, but I believe we are still eligible for Tax Credits, if not Child Benefits.

My question is about claiming USA income on the Tax Credit claim form. I have a small stream on US income that is more than wiped out state-side long before it makes it to the UK by student loan payments. The income stream will also run out in a few months. Should I claim US income on my UK Tax Forms? Or is there a serious rick of being audited/fined, etc.?

Any other advice on our general situation would also be welcome.

Many Thanks
well dont forget that you have to file a US tax return even if your job is not money received from a US employer. i recommend you read the irs.gov website. it states it all in publication 501 and then maybe contact a tax lawyer who knows the exact laws. because you can never be to cautious when it comes to the possibility of being audited. and although in the states when we file for our child tax credit it is not a recourse to public funds it might be with the UK. this is just a thought. and with regards to claiming your US income on UK tax forms, i can imagine it would be the same where you have to claim ALL worldwide income on US tax forms. but i could be wrong im not tax lawyer but i very much recommend you calling a lawyer that deals with international taxes. and again try to read the pub. 501 on the irs website because you can actually call them and they will give you the information.

also, you can claim your qualifying children on your US tax returns. i.e. if they have social security numbers and birth certificates to prove identity.

hope that helps a lil. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.